Goofy window crank...for WHAT?

37PackardMan

Years ago I found this window crank in a swap meet.  It looked interesting so I bought it and asked everyone who came to our shop, but no one had see the likes of it.

Can any viewer identify it? Maybe the crank and escutcheon will help.

FunnyCrank.jpgFunnyCrank2.jpgFunnyCrank3.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Bob

That's really neat!  My first thought, since it uses a lot of parts to do a simple job, was Rolls Royce, but then again, if it was RR made it would have about a hundred bolt holes to hold it in place (the English called it "sewing" metal pieces in place).

Anyway, with seven gears and two or three stampings to make this thing, it had to be a high end car, and for some reason I'm still guessing a foreign make.....

Sure hope someone knows exactly what it's from!

Wow, very interesting piece. 

If I am thinking correctly, it looks as though it would raise the bottom edge of a glass (or other panel) much higher than the position of the handle. Perhaps it was in an uncommon vehicle, like a tour bus or limousine, etc? Maybe it could even have opened a roof hatch? 

I agree, handle is the "up" side....what carries the piece (riding in the window channel) up and down, is it geared, or somehow otherwise attached and transferred from gear to gear?  I love this thing, as a mechanical engineer it just makes me giddy!  Not to be rude, but want to sell it? 

1 hour ago, trimacar said:

....what carries the piece (riding in the window channel) up and down, is it geared, or somehow otherwise attached and transferred from gear to gear?

Counting gears from top to bottom:  Look closely at 1st, 3rd, and last, gears.  You can see a small U-channel thing attached to a certain spot on the gears. 

These things are what transfers/moves the hidden inner winder roller to each gear.  As that gear raises the roller to a precise point, the inner hidden roller gets grabbed by a another channel piece on that next gear.  Kind of like passing the baton on a relay race.  :) 

Those channel things must expend out further than the gear's teeth, so that they can grab the roller from the preceding gear.  They may have a slight S bend on the tip, to hook the roller?

Thanks for all the replies....

No...I would not sell it. It is a great conversation piece in our eclectic car parlor/museum.

I always imagined that it was designed to wobble the window up to avoid jamming in the channel.

15 minutes ago, 37PackardMan said:

imagined that it was designed to wobble the window up to avoid jamming in the channel

Not sure about that...

It looks like a tall window?  and to raise any window, some cars had a single arm that ran in an arc.  That arc makes the window lifting point not in the center at all times, so it can go crooked and jamb with worn weatherstrips.

Then better ones had two opposing arms, so the lifting is done from two equal spots to keep it straight. Those cost more than single arms.

Is it possible that this one is for a taller window, and a twin arm regulator would have taken up a lot of room on a tall window ?

Not that you could ever get the handle screw out....but I'd bet the upholstery protected under the escutcheon plate is like brand new color

" I love this thing, as a mechanical engineer it just makes me giddy!  Not to be rude, but want to sell it?"

I hear you.  It's actually a rather eloquent solution to raise and lower something in limited space using readily available, simple to make components.  Yes, another ME.