26 Dodge head lights

mrcaug

I have a 26 dodge and would like to upgrade the headlights.  I can't figure out how to get the chrome trim ring off.  There is a small hole in the bottom of the ring, guessing it has something to do with releasing something or other.

Any suggestions of how to remove the ring and then suggestions on an upgrade?  12 volt.

Thanks 

Simplest upgrade is to make sure the earth is good. There is nothing spare in 6V and you can't earth well through paint. 2nd simple upgrade is to the right bulbs and make sure they are in the right place. Bigger (higher Wattage) bulbs don't necessarily mean better lights.

6V halogen bulbs are available too.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 7:50 PM, Curti said:

Is the reason you are converting to 12V is the starter turns over too slow?

Agree.  If all of the connections and wires are good the car will perform fine.   The reason that the car companies went to 12 volt systems is not because it is a better voltage, but to save money and mass(weight) because they could use smaller wires.

A large number of persons on this site would agree and recommend that you keep the vehicle stock.  Just our humble opinion and lots of experience of watching the start of the 12 volt switch.  By the way, the light bulbs are the first of many things that will need to be changed.

I am finishing a resto on a 26 Rover with 6V electrics now. It came with the starter, dynamo and maggy all overhauled, and with a good sized (105Ah) 6V battery it spins and starts fine, so it will  be staying on 6V. All the wiring is new, as none came with the car, so all the contacts are clean and new. I am planning on 24W headlight bulbs, and using LEDs on all the other lights - readily available in BA15S (single contact) and BA15D(dual contact) formats. Dont condemn the 6V system until you have refreshed the starter and dynamo - unless you have somebody on hand who can convert the whole system to 12V reliably. And yes, all my system is infamous Lucas stuff - Prince of Darkness, as 'Gentlemen dont Motor after Dark'!

jp 26 Rover 9

The reason I am changing to 12 volts is that I would have to convert all of the LS engine electronics to 6 volt and that is not practical.  I am leaving all of the body stock, just replaced the running gear and the suspension.  I wanted to keep up with traffic, 26 had a top speed of 42 when it was new and horrible brakes.  Wife would not ride in it without A/C.  I will be selling all of the removed parts soon.  Thanks for your reply.  I have 2 options right now, install an 8" motorcycle head light or a socket and bulb from a modern car.