Buick Nailhead 1957-58 364 4bbl intake manifold

1957buickjim

Need some technical assistance. I just got this 4bbl manifold for my Buick and usually on the bottom there is a steel plug (looks like a freeze plug). On this manifold, it is gone.

Is that needed to use the manifold, i.e, vacuum or something or is it there as a access plate for the casting. Also, if it is needed, does any one know where a replacement could be found?

Thanks!

Jim

IMG_4672.JPG

IMG_4673.JPG

I do not know the 364's so well, but on my '56 322, it has a similar port, which is ported with the exhaust manifold. This looks like the same idea that yours has. Mine completely rusted out many years ago, and I fabricated one out of some titanium (no kidding) that I had left over from another project. I didn't have any stainless, but I did have titanium. Stainless would be a very good choice, of course.

Not too tough to do if one has a bit of experience with metal work.

Keith

• Like 1

If you don't plug it with something, consider it a 3rd exhaust vent. I think it's a casting access hole to mold the intake heating portion. On the 322 intakes, there is a gasket and two screws. This looks like a glued or press fit job? Likewise, you could try plugging the heat track with the intake gasket and that would prevent warming on the intake manifold, though I'm not sure the repercussions that would cause.

• Like 1

Jim,

Looks like you have your answer to the manifold plug and appreciate TomP for posting that information!

I can only confirm what Buicknutty and Beemon have stated about it being an additional exhaust port when it goes.... My Special has the two barrel intake and while driving it actually popped out. What a racket! By the time I got her home and removed the intake to see what was the problem, the exhaust heat had burned the paint off the valley cover.:o

Back then without internet and dealerships saying it was too old to have parts, ended up taking it to school where the class auto instructor used it as part of his teaching. It was sand blasted, dunked to remove the carbon and at first tried to press the old plug back into place. He (we) tried a bit of air pressure and found it still leaked so he arc welded it in place.

It still is in place today but figure I better order a few spares to be prepared! :rolleyes:

Would hate to have it pop out on the way to the National this year......

• Like 2

On 1/4/2017 at 9:20 PM, 1957buickjim said:

Need some technical assistance. I just got this 4bbl manifold for my Buick and usually on the bottom there is a steel plug (looks like a freeze plug). On this manifold, it is gone.

Is that needed to use the manifold, i.e, vacuum or something or is it there as a access plate for the casting. Also, if it is needed, does any one know where a replacement could be found?

Thanks!

Jim

IMG_4672.JPG

IMG_4673.JPG

Hi Jim, I have a partial box of correct Dorman plugs. I'll message U the number.550-034 is the dorman# others may work. If ya absolutely can't find one pm me.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)