Origional Engine?

I would like to hear from members of the forum whether trying to save the original, cracked block for my 1937 President coupe is worth the extra hassle. I have several other 36/37 engines one of which has a serial number close to that of the original engine. I had earmarked that engine long ago for a build but began wondering if others who might think.

Did Studebaker track and record the engine serial and match to the body serial number in 1937? Other than you knowing that it wasn't the exact engine that came out of the car, I do NOT (added edit) see the benefit of spending the time and money.  If it were me and I was going to enjoy driving the car, I would rather have the non-repaired block under my hood.

Scott

Edited by Stude Light
OOPs - Added NOT (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Stude Light said:

Did Studebaker track and record the engine serial and match to the body serial number in 1937?

Scott

I believe the production orders (build sheets) for Studebakers have been preserved at the Studebaker National Museum, and do go back to 1937.  Has anyone ever judging a Studebaker asked for a copy of the production order to verify the engine matching numbers?  I doubt it.

If you go to the trouble and expense of restoring a cracked block in a Studebaker it is for your satisfaction only.

I can direct you to an original '37 Studebaker Coupe Express engine that was locked up (not cracked) and used to help fill an errant and forgotten septic tank.

Edited by starlightcoupe (see edit history)

How is your car registered -- using the car's serial number, or using the engine number? Some states in the '30s used the engine number instead of the car's serial number. If yours is registered using the engine number, that might be a reason to try to fix the existing engine.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 4:41 PM, Buffalowed Bill said:

whether trying to save the original, cracked block for my 1937 President coupe is worth the extra hassle. I have several other 36/37 engines one of which has a serial number close to that of the original engine

Just me, but if I was buying the car from you after you restored it, I would have preferred using the uncracked engine

You can always keep/store the cracked one, if you think it may matter in the future?

2 hours ago, r1lark said:

How is your car registered -- using the car's serial number, or using the engine number? Some states in the '30s used the engine number instead of the car's serial number. If yours is registered using the engine number, that might be a reason to try to fix the existing engine.

An even more enticing reason to get the title correctly changed to the Serial No.

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. Thanks to Rex and Dick for suggesting that it would be advantageous to sell the car and move on, but it's a bit unclear as  to whom the sale would benefit. I'm sure that both have a buyer in mind, and maybe even have a price in mind that would allow me to rid myself of this white elephant.

r1lark, you are correct and the car is registered with the engine number. I was sure that I had gotten the build sheet for the coupe, but the build sheet is for the 37 president sedan that I own. I was frustrated to find that all but one of the build sheets that I purchased over the years have gone missing! I guess that I will have to order a build sheet for the coupe to verify what I have always believed to be true, that the engine that was in the car is original to the car.

Rex, I can't lay my hands on the engine right now, but as I remember the crack was low down on the side of the block, and not between the cylinders, or the valves. The crack showed up only as the result of a pleasure test. It seemed to be almost like a small stress crack or internal deterioration and which came back from the machine shop circled in chalk about the size of a fifty cent piece. There was no appreciable bulge so it didn't look like the result of freezing. 

Another question, whether to use the original aluminum head or a later cast iron head. The engine came apart easily, and I was surprised that the head came off with no problem. I was not expecting the head to be in as good a shape as it was. I did have an old school welder work on several cracks and he was able to pleasure test it to over one hundred pounds. I keep going back and forth on the head, because I am still unsure how long the original casting might last. Is it really worth taking the chance of jeopardizing one of these daunting builds. Heaven knows that I don't want to redo the engine if the head fails.