1902 Oldsmobile

Tyler Gimbert

Greetings, 

Hope everyone enjoyed the holidays. I am working on a friends 1902 Curved Dash Oldsmobile. The goal is to get it running/ move under its own power.  From what I have been told, the car hasn't run since before WW2 and the engine isn't seized. From what i can tell, the data plate and coil is missing. I have removed the panels on the front and back of the car.  What kind of coil does this car need? does this car use a battery or Magneto? What is missing?  I would appreciate any help, since this is the first curved dash olds that I have worked on. 

Thanks again

Tyler Gimbert

185.JPG

186.JPG

187.JPG

188.JPG

189.JPG

190.JPG

191.JPG

192.JPG

193.JPG

197.JPG

198.JPG

199.JPG

200.JPG

201.JPG

202.JPG

203.JPG

205.JPG

209.JPG

210.JPG

211.JPG

213.JPG

216.JPG

156.JPG

159.JPG

160.JPG

Edited by Tyler Gimbert (see edit history)

57 minutes ago, Mark Shaw said:

You will need a timer,

I never worked on that particular car model, but this part seems to be the timer?

...and the arrow points to what might be a cable-operated retard/advance?

Opinions?...

Yes it looks like a fun job.  One thing on the primitive cars is to figure out the engine oiling system, and make sure everything is correct including oil levels etc.  Some can be tricky.  Someone that owns one could save you a lot of time to advise/make sure the oiling is correct before test running the engine.

216.thumb.JPG.ec80bf6895f70e455a717ca51493cd99.jpg

Looks like a great car, quite authentic in all respects.  It does have a timer, the battery goes in the box under the seat left side, and the coil goes in the lower box underneath the battery box.  If it has a compression release pedal (right side heel panel) it should have a serial number stamped on it.  I don't see a gas pedal on the floor, might get one from Monroe Miller.  The big problem is, I don't see a drive chain and it is not availiable.  It is an obsolete size.  The late Gary Hoonsbeen was a great help, also someone was remaking them but I don't remember who.. The oiling is simple, there is a lubricator on the cylinder, take it off clean it and adjust it to 10 drops per minute and you are in business.  The engine is a total loss system so the excess oil just leaks out..

Looks like a great car, quite authentic in all respects.  It does have a timer, the battery goes in the box under the seat left side, and the coil goes in the lower box underneath the battery box.  If it has a compression release pedal (right side heel panel) it should have a serial number stamped on it.  I don't see a gas pedal on the floor, might get one from Monroe Miller.  The big problem is, I don't see a drive chain and it is not availiable.  It is an obsolete size.  The late Gary Hoonsbeen was a great help, also someone was remaking them but I don't remember who.. The oiling is simple, there is a lubricator on the cylinder, take it off clean it and adjust it to 10 drops per minute and you are in business.  The engine is a total loss system so the excess oil just leaks out..

Thank you for your speedy replies, i do have the chain for it, there is a box to the left of the engine compartment that I believe someone made, it does not look like belongs there. Also are there any pedals missing? The gas pedal is located on the floor at the edge of the seat, as if you would use your heel? Yes, cranking with the spark advanced can have some unforgiving consequences. 

192.JPG

196.JPG

198.JPG

206.JPG

Edited by Tyler Gimbert (see edit history)

Yes, you have circled the timer and the advance via cable. A throttle lever should be near the advance cable knob.  I too suggest you lubricate every moving part and squirt some penetrating oil into the cylinder before cranking.  A garden tractor battery and a model T coil will fit  nicely in the box you mentioned.  There should be a mark on the flywheel and some sort of indicator to locate TDC for timing.

Try here: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=curved+dash+oldsmobile+operation&&view=detail&mid=7ECFE54F5D860F954C697ECFE54F5D860F954C69&FORM=VRDGAR

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=1903+Oldsmobile+Curved+Dash&&view=detail&mid=2DDE2E24863A2F5C831F2DDE2E24863A2F5C831F&FORM=VRDGAR

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)

Thanks for posting the pics Tyler, I do plan to stop by the shop for a good look.  For some background, this particular car has been in the Norfolk Va area for quite some time and in the same family for many years.  We are glad to see the car out in the open and even happier to see Tyler trying to help get it going again.  Perhaps we'll see more of the car once it is usable and the family can enjoy it.  For those who don't know, Tyler is a gifted young mechanic who also acquired the Model T Ford that once belonged to one of our AACA Region's oldest members.  Tyler is well experienced with things that go "buzz" when you turn the switch on.  Of course you know I have a spark plug that will probably work well.

Terry

• Like 1

Thanks Mark, Bob, & Terry

Once I get things rolling at the shop, Ill be sure to post more info and pictures. Thanks again for the help Terry, you are always a huge help when it comes to antique cars. Terry, feel free to stop by the shop anytime, just give me a call. Mark I will check  out that link. Thanks

Tyler

Tyler, Gary Hoonsbeen wrote a couple of books that would help you immensely.  I believe all out of prints but copies of sections you need could be copied by our library.  There are also reprints of factory literature that the club has that would be of help. I believe the club has timers for sale.  There are also people who specialize in CDO parts and there is a forum for CDO club members. 

I have a 1903 and you are welcome to stop by and see it if you are in the Hershey area.

The compression release pedal should have a number on it.  What is the number? 

That is a correct serial number for 1902 but does not seem to match the number on the cylinder head. Interesting.  Glad to see a young man with an interest in the real old cars. You are also missing the lever to advance and retard the spark. The transmission letter looks wrong to me as well. I will have to spend more time looking at it but overall pretty complete.  The correct ignition switches are available as well but they are not cheap. Keep at it!

Steve, 

From what I was told, it is a late 02 with an 03 engine? Again I am going by what I was told, I am still researching. Do you know what the correct  style of coil that is supposed to be in this car? I am going to use a T coil to get it going of course. 

Tyler

• 2 weeks later...