WHAT IS THIS, IT WAS IN GLOVEBOX

LAS VEGAS DAVE

From what I can see/decipher:

First line, last two words -  new protect - then possibly o - so likely likely new protector

Second line - Patent applied for

Last line, last word - Conn

EDIT - In view of a later post, part of the above is obviously wrong. I'm blaming my old eyes not seeing as sharply as they used to!B)

Edited by Ozstatman (see edit history)

The puzzle has been solved. 

Thanks so much for the replies. I have looked at this thing many times but never even noticed the printing on it before Flyer and Larry pointed it out. When I bought this car it came out of the Lewis Jenkins collection. I found out he bought two Buicks at the same time, one was a 1938 and one was a 1937. He bought them from a man whose father bought them new. I was able to talk to the son and he told me his father was an executive working g at the Buick plant in Flint and had bought the 1937 new in 1937 and used the car daily. In 1938 he special ordered the one I have now for his wife. It has a fuel pump that was a special order for that year only that also runs the wipers. These were common later. In any case the son told me the 1938 was his moms and was not driven very much. Both cars were put in a garage and at the time his moms car only had about 15000 miles on it. He inherited both cars and just left them in the same ol wooden garage until in about 1982 he sold them to Lewis Jenkins. Lewis kept the 1938 and his friend took the 1937. So now the item that I found in the glovebox makes sense. Here is the link to what it is.  BE SURE TO CLICK ON THE DRAWING AFTER YOU OPEN THE LINK TO SEE IT BEING USED.  

By the way it says:

RAMEY HEEL PROTECTOR

PATENT APPLIED FOR

MEMPHIS TENN

https://www.google.ch/patents/US1830912

2 hours ago, Dave Mellor NJ said:

I'm glad you got it figured out but it seems silly to me

US1830912-0.png

I HAVE TO AGREE WITH YOU. IT IS SILLY AND THATS WHY IT IS SO RARE THAT NO ONE KNEW WHAT IT WAS. I DOUBT ANYONE ALIVE HAS EVER SEEN OR EVEN HEARD OF ONE. IT WAS IN THE GLOVEBOX AND SO THE CURIOSITY WAS ALWAYS THERE.

I can recall seeing these advertised in the past -- perhaps JC Whitney, or somewhere similar. Maybe they weren't such a dumb idea, though. We are all used to carpeting of some type in cars, but there was a time when a hard rubber mat was the standard. A lot of gravel and dirt managed to enter the car and often accumulate at the lowest spot -- under the gas pedal. All of that grit would get repeatedly ground into the back of a person's shoes, damaging the leather finish. Maybe even more so with women's shoes because of their heels and the somewhat different angle. I just remembered how indispensable a whisk broom was. I always had one under the front seat to deal with accumulated dirt and sand. If you didn't deal with it from time to time the sand would blow all around from open windows and floor vents and eventually get in your eyes while driving. Geez, I'll bet that I haven't had a whisk broom in my hand for thirty or more years.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)