Unknown box of a gear change

Guest Suberia

The part numbers appear to be Chrysler. In checking these numbers against my early parts book, none of them appear but  most of them are one number off from from a number that does appear. My guess is a 1928-30 Chrysler Imperial 80/L 6 cyl or possibly a 1928-29 Chrysler 70/V or 77/W. (Sorry for the poor scan. The book is very thick and hard to copy without taking it apart.)

1929 Imperial trans.jpg

Looking at all the pics:

The missing tag on firewall is the same size and shaped oval as a Mopar in those years.  Those tags were thin aluminum so that could be why it rotted off.

The cowl:  It seems to be earlier style that could match the dates of that early transmission.  In one pic of the right front of car, the cowl seems to be crudely blended to a newer style body, as it looks like discolored lead-working at the splice.  The cowl design seems to have been made for the very late 20s to maybe 1930-1931 that had early type sidemounts and shaped for an early hood style.

rear fender sure seems circa 1930 style, as well as the wood wheel/rim design. Bumper style was 31 or older.

I think it was a later body adapted to a early car.  The body shell does seem like 34 era.

I am not up on biggest Chrysler front axles, and that one is a round tube.  Hyd brakes could be Mopar

rear bellhousing brackets on indes of frame look like Mopars of that era, but other brands must have had similar ones?

Could it have been the Chrysler Corp export chassis that was sold with a cowl, and no body?  I am not sure if those came with fenders or not.

also, the car on the left of it is a limo (it seems), and that must be unusual in Siberia?

6 minutes ago, F&J said:

The missing tag on firewall is the same size and shaped oval as a Mopar in those years.  Those tags were thin aluminum so that could be why it rotted off.

Actually, they were tin plated steel. Mine is 0.012" thick. You can see the rusty remains of the tag under the screws. They appear to have been punched from a sheet after printing or painting the artwork on, leaving the edges as unprotected steel.

The "trunk" appears to be grafted on in the style of 1934-35?

1 hour ago, Spinneyhill said:

The "trunk" appears to be grafted on in the style of 1934-35?

Yes I see obvious grafting that seems too crude to be from a car builder....looking at how it was cobbled to fit the rear fender transition.

1 hour ago, Suberia said:

If the transmission 1928-1929, hence the car about the same years?

The body itself, seems to be much later than the chassis, and wheels,bumpers.

The body shell dating can very, very difficult because it is European, or at least, not USA.   The Euro counties often used outdated body shell styling for many years.  It looks like 33/34 styling on USA sedans, but it's not USA, so I think it is much later than 34.  Could be late 30s or even 1940s?

Can we get some opinions on the inside door/window handle age?  That handle might have been replaced much later, but it could also be the original to that body shell.  Could that handle design go newer than late 1930s?

I now do not think that this was an Export Chassis which had a body made in another country.  There are quite a few signs of backyard blending to make things fit together. 

I wonder if Keiser31 can take a good look at the radiator/fender splash apron, and the spreader bar between the frame tips? ...  To see if it seems like the bigger Chryslers of the Circa-1930 era?

A lot of things around this particular area and the rear engine mounts look a lot like 1930 Chrysler 77....10 spokes, frame horns look the same, cross bar, although it's bent, could be the same....

1930 Chrysler.jpg

5 hours ago, maok said:

Could  the diff be upside-down? My 28 Chrysler diff cover cannot bolt on upside-down.

No, you cannot flip a rear axle, because the car will now go backwards when in the forward gears of the transmission  :)

• Like 1