GABRIEL SHOCKS

autonut

Thanks, Carl. I found some old threads on AACA forums about this, but they seemed to suggest that I would need to find an original tool and do it myself. With all the projects I have going on in my life right now, I would prefer to find someone who knows exactly what they're doing with these, and delegate. No time for a learning curve right now! 

Yes I have snubbers on my 1926 Buick.  But I was interested in the Thermostatic hydraulic arm type shock that came after that in the 30's.  Unfortunately no information is available from Gabriel or anyone else for that matter. 

Don't know why these companies have to destroy everything and can't retain a little bit of their history.  All about profits always, nothing else.

There is a 1930 patent assigned to Gabriel for a temperature compensating shock absorber with an arm on it. Patents are available online by searching Google. This shock gives the same damping, regardless of temperature, according to the patent. There are multiple "Thermostatic Compensating" shock absorber patents, but this is the only one assigned to Gabriel for that 1930 time period, at least as far as I found.

Not sure if this helps at all, but here it is:

US1876552-0.png

US1876552-1.png

US1876552-2.png

SHOCK ABSORBER ance offered 'to the movement of the piston in said chamberby the liquid therein will be constant irrespective of wide variations in temperature. A further object of the invention is to provide means which will eliminate noise incidentalto the movements of the check valve which permits the flow of liquid from one side or end of the working chamber to the other under impact movements of the piston and which prevents such flow un-' der rebound movements of such piston.

http://www.google.ch/patents/US1876552

Yes I have snubbers on my 1926 Buick.  But I was interested in the Thermostatic hydraulic arm type shock that came after that in the 30's.  Unfortunately no information is available from Gabriel or anyone else for that matter. 

Don't know why these companies have to destroy everything and can't retain a little bit of their history.  All about profits always, nothing else.

Well thank you Mike6024.  I would never have thought to do a search on patents.  Gives a very good description of this shock.  Still wish I could find some old Gabriel info, which listed on which autos these shocks were used on.  Not even sure

that Gabriel ever published any data such as this, but would think they would have somewhere.

Lee

I have tried the interchange manuals and also the original parts manual of the car they are on, and so far I have reached a blank and have given up.  Nothing I have come up with thus far, matches the numbers on the shocks.

Information this far back, is next to impossible to obtain.