1941 Chrysler Saratoga C30 3 windows coupe 8L

Volucer

Hello experts, I am restoring in Italy my Saratoga C30 8L. I am about rebuilding the engine and gearbox (fluid drive). The engine head is red and the block looks to by sort of grey. Can somebody advice about the correct colors for the mechanics? I mean, engine, gearbox, axle, differential etc..

Thanks in advance,

Shahar

The engine was painted silver at the factory. The head was silver too. All painted at the same time. Then the accessories were added. Air cleaner, starter, generator, oil fill cap, all black. Distributor cap black plastic. Distributor unpainted iron. Fuel pump unpainted aluminum.

Someone must have painted the head. Like a Ferrari Testa Rossa ha ha joke.

• Like 1

If it is a high compression head it will have a different casting number on it, which may be the same as the part number. Does the parts book show a high compression head option?

If it was painted in the same fashion as earlier engines, it was assembled, including water pump, manifolds, tappet covers and sump before being painted, so minimal masking was required.

• Like 1

Back in the 1920s and early 1930s you could get a "Silver Dome" engine or a "Red Head" engine. The Red Head was higher compression and required high octane fuel.

They discontinued the high compression head before your car was built. It came with the whole engine painted silver. So, someone painted the head red some time in the last 75 years.

• Like 2

If you want to be a perfectionist you can order paint from Hirsh but it won't be much different from ordinary silver paint or aluminum paint from the hardware store. You do not need special engine paint or high temperature paint. Ordinary paint or rust paint is fine.  The black accessories should be painted with semi gloss black.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guest HansKoenig

Hi Shahar, this is Hans from Switzerland.

A friend of mine bought a Chrysler New Yorker (8) C30N Business Coupé and started to restore it a couple of years ago but is still missing parts so I'm supporting him for the search.

I'm wondering if we could work together in order to identify part suppliers?

Personally I'm driving a 1949 Buick Super 56C.

Where do you live in Italy?

1941_Chrysler.JPG

1941_Chrysler_type.JPG

DSC_0331_1.JPG

• 3 years later...