WTB Riviera medallions (centers) for hubcaps

kreed

I am restoring a nice set of Riviera turbine type hubcaps ( 66 or 67??) and need to replace the medallions in the spinner. Tried Mitch Romanski already without any luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated . Thanks Ken Reed 14549

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Ken,

Im not 100% sure but these caps where on 66 - 70 Rivs. I found a part catalogue from CARS Inc. (see attach) and I think you'll need the part WP660R on page 37.
CARS-Parts-Riviera65.pdf

You can find it here too: http://www.oldbuickparts.com/cart/wheel-cap-1966-70-riviera-p-1345.html

Edited by Schmiddy (see edit history)

Kreed,

The CARS part will not fit your SD (P02) cap. That part is too small.

These medallions were produced in many sizes thru the years. Some years are interchangeable. Last I knew, only 1 other much larger version was reproduced (at OPGI) and it may or may not be available. Can you send me a pic of the backside of your (removed)

spinner next to a scale?

Edited by PWB
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hi Paul - here are couple pics . You are right that these are much larger than the ones that fit in the "cone" used on the rally wheels . As you can see they are fastened in with rivets ( which I guess will have be drilled out )and backed by a thin soft foam. Tried to restore one myself - disaster ! May have bit off more than I can chew but hey are such pretty caps thought  Inwould try to preserve them. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated . Ken Reed ROA 14945

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kreed said:

Hi Paul - here are couple pics . You are right that these are much larger than the ones that fit in the "cone" used on the rally wheels . As you can see they are fastened in with rivets ( which I guess will have be drilled out )and backed by a thin soft foam. Tried to restore one myself - disaster ! May have bit off more than I can chew but hey are such pretty caps thought  Inwould try to preserve them. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated . Ken Reed ROA 14945

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

If there are just light scratches in the surface of the plastic ; no deep cuts or gouges, you can do a little to make them look better.  You'll first need to remove them from the housing.  Act on them as if you were doing some color sanding on a new paint job.  Start with some 800 or higher  (1000 - 1200) wet/dry sand paper and in some soapy water start sanding out the scratches.  Don't work just the scratches, but work the entire piece.  Follow that with even higher numbered paper till they're really smooth.  Then get out the chemicals to cut and polish.  Keep polishing them until all evidence of sanding is gone.  Once they're shiny, coat them with some clear coat.  You  may be able to get to the silver from the back side.  That's where I had the biggest problem - finding something small enough to apply the silver and finding something that looked enough like chrome to look good.

I did this to a couple of center medallions for the 63 / 64 knock offs. Practice on some older ones until you get the hang of it.  They aren't 400 point concours items but they're really good 5/5 items*

Ed

*5 feet at 5 mph.

Edited by RivNut
effing predictive text (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Those medallions don't look too bad.  You should be able to buff them with a buffing wheel too, and make them look almost new..  I have used an Eastwood Plastic Buffing Compound on a loose low cut Buffing Wheel with their two speed Buffing Motor successfully.  

Like Ed I suggest watching some YouTubes, practicing before cleaning up your best ones.  I have made some scrap out of stainless trim pieces while practicing for some of that work.  The plastic was pretty easy but you can burn them quickly if you are not careful.  

It is like anything else - you've got to practice, practice, practice.

Rock On

gord

Edited by msdminc (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Mr. Kreed,

You possess, perhaps, the most rare of Riviera medallions. Another option is to go with a Non-spinner cap. Those medallions are 1/8" smaller and much more common. The chrome cap bases can be purchased new from Corvette sources and they fit your SD hubcaps.

Either way, I recommend a 5/32" tap with new screws to replace "welded" studs on your recycled ones. I've had complete success with this method.

Best of luck and welcome back to a non mag world!

P02 Non Spinner.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 11/8/2016 at 7:59 PM, 68RIVGS said:

I checked and measured a set of NOS '69/'70 hubcaps I have, the plastic 'R' centres are larger than the cone type medallions, but not as large as your spinner type 'R' medallions Ken.

Thought they might fit but they are too small !

hey Randy, still got those nos hubcaps?  I've been looking for turbines for my 69....  this string came up on a google search. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cmarcellus63ford69riv said:

hey Randy, still got those nos hubcaps?  I've been looking for turbines for my 69....  this string came up on a google search. 

Still got them somewhere, but they are not turbines, just standard NOS 15" hubcaps - common to '69 and '70 Riviera.

Gents, these are refinished from the original. The logo R comes in two styles. One logo is a thicker print design. The second design of the R logo is thinner more like the original. Here is a pic of one my refinished 64 emblem. The emblem is for one of my customers.

Turbinator

BDE9B595-94D7-48B8-A8C6-44FC9DEEED32.jpeg

10 hours ago, cmarcellus63ford69riv said:

are the center caps the same as the turbine caps without spinners?

Don't really know as I have nothing to actually compare them to.

The ribbed, cone center cap plastic inserts are the smallest diameter.

The 15" '69/'70 hub cap centers are a little larger  diameter with a wire clip retainer.

The turbine cap centers are the largest diameter of all three, but I have never seen or measured a knock off turbine center cap plastic  center,

and don't know how the diameter compares to a plastic non-knock off turbine center.

3 hours ago, 68RIVGS said:

Don't really know as I have nothing to actually compare them to.

The ribbed, cone center cap plastic inserts are the smallest diameter.

The 15" '69/'70 hub cap centers are a little larger  diameter with a wire clip retainer.

The turbine cap centers are the largest diameter of all three, but I have never seen or measured a knock off turbine center cap plastic  center,

and don't know how the diameter compares to a plastic non-knock off turbine center.

Sir, same size center emblem for the cast aluminum wheelcover as the solid wheelcover in question. I sold R emblem for the solid wheelcovers as well as cast aluminium 63/64 wheelcovers. Here is a 63 emblem.

941C1577-4F3B-4466-9FBD-85FA46E44552.jpeg

5 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Yes

Turbinator

Bob,

I think the subject of this thread is the `66 spinner wheel cover and the `67 version which is not a spinner but a round cap/center. Is the `66-`67 die cast spinner emblem the same size as the `63- `64 spinner emblem?

Tom

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

Bob,

I think the subject of this thread is the `66 spinner wheel cover and the `67 version which is not a spinner but a round cap/center. Is the `66-`67 die cast spinner emblem the same size as the `63- `64 spinner emblem?

Tom

Tom, I’ve checked the gents measurements above on the 66/67 R emblems. My measurements of an original 64 R Cast aluminum turbine emblem is 2 5/8” in diameter. I did not measure the tabs.. My 2 5/8” matches what KReed showed in his measurements. The other gent showed an R emblem at 66/67cm, which are the same as a 64 R emblem.  When these are hand made it’s not hard to get the diameter or proportionate logo correct. What is a challenge is getting the R Logo perfect. I’m closing in on the perfection of the logo. Most of the R emblems I make are from discarded originals; however, I’ve had measurable success making the emblems with other methods. Mounting the logo with the correct “dome” on an appropriate backing is yet another way to achieve the look. 

My answer is the 64 R cast aluminum emblem is the same size as the 66-67 die cast spinner.

Turbinator

-ps you want pics of examples, I have a lot.

Morning Bob,

I researched the emblems a couple of decades ago and I was under the impression the `66-`67 is different but that was a long time ago so I`m not sure. So you are determing the emblems are the same from the measurements shown? And not actually fitting the emblems to the later spinner? I thought you might have expereience actually replacing the earlier emblems into the later spinners.

I may have a junk `66 spinner laying around that would be no big deal to ruin to test fit the earlier emblems. I`m getting knocked off my month long spring landscaping duties by rain so today would be a good day for it!

Tom

2 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

Morning Bob,

I researched the emblems a couple of decades ago and I was under the impression the `66-`67 is different but that was a long time ago so I`m not sure. So you are determing the emblems are the same from the measurements shown? And not actually fitting the emblems to the later spinner? I thought you might have expereience actually replacing the earlier emblems into the later spinners.

I may have a junk `66 spinner laying around that would be no big deal to ruin to test fit the earlier emblems. I`m getting knocked off my month long spring landscaping duties by rain so today would be a good day for it!

Tom

Tom,  I have no experience fitting the. 63/64 emblems in the 66/67 wheel covers. If what I saw from other gents measurements the emblems were in fact 66/67 emblems then they are the same size tab to tab as the 63/64 emblems. Fitment is another story I cannot testify the 64 R’s will fit in the 66/67 spinner wheelcovers. The tabs may be different, but across the dome they look like a fit to me. In any case a person can make them fit without going to a fabricator.

Turbinator