Postcard collectors

nick8086

Any one an expert  on this stuff.. I have cars, vintage stuff.. etc . Just under 2000  Items.. That was in a scrap book of his trip to the races in 1950 with his army buddy.. It was a big deal to get a post card to remember your trip.. I think we have some stuff from all the states..  He did not collect them. He just saved them from a trip..

IMG_0002.jpg

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

I have a massive collection of postcards portraying land speed racing cars, 60's show cars (kustoms and dream cars), and hot rods. Still growing, too - but it's getting harder to find stuff I don't already have.

I have a LOT of period pictures, postcards, etc. Generally a picture or post card is worth almost nothing.   A picture or postcard of a common car or place is worth nothing to a little bit - couple of bucks at most.   A picture of a rare or interesting car can bring more, 10.00 or less in small format, usually.   I have seen a couple of great pictures of Auburn Speedsters taken in the 1930s in large format go for over 100.00.  Some very unique racecar pictures can do well too.   Postcards of places have a little value to the people that live there or have fond memories of that place.   I have not seen really valuable postcards but perhaps they exist.

Among my collection of collections I have about 7 albums filled with early automotive postcards.  Started collecting years ago and my focus was (and still is) early stuff.   Although I've added later gas stations, etc, they need to at least have visible pumps out front to be of interest.   My "real-photo" postcard collection is only a small portion of them.  I love the artsy-type cards depicting early autos, motoring scenes, or even humorous situations from the early 1900s when the car was just becoming popular.   Recently did a short program for our club on collecting automotive postcards.  It's something that is cheap and doesn't take up a lot of space.  Plus, you get to read someone else's mail!

Terry

I have been saving early automotive post cards for years.  One of my favorites is a hand painted old car with an elegantly dressed woman behind the wheel that was sent to a quite young man, his age younger than 12, was marked on the card. The postmark was 1909.  Another is a photo card of Glenn Curtiss the aircraft pioneer, standing beside the Airocar he built powered by one of his famous motorcycle engines. --Bob--

Missed you at Hershey!  I also have a couple of hand painted postcards - this is one of my favorites.  Probably painted over another card of some kind, but a clever and quite personal way to send greetings.  stuff like this isn't done these days!

Hand drawn postcard.jpg

Hi Bill, are you talking about the cards showing photos of cars in Austie's collection?  There were piles of them at the museum and they still show up on the internet (check ebay). I assume he must have had other old cards in a collection but am not aware what became of those. 

Terry

Bill, thanks for reminding me about Austin Clark, a true gentleman. We both lived in the same town and he would always invite people back to his place after local car shows. The remnants of his automotive museum on eastern Long Island were still there although heavily overgrown the last time I was out east. Could be a shopping mall now. Great guy.