running board rubber

RiKi5156B

Well having never attempted such a task, the first thing I would do is get something like a metal paint scraper and try and lever off any old dry rubber.  You may even have to give the scraper and few taps with a hammer to help along with the lifting.  Then I would try some heat from a torch of some kind to soften or burn the remaining stuff off.  Make sure you wear safety gear, respiratory protection ( proper filters not just a paper mask )  gloves and eye protection.   Hitting them with any abrasive grinder, paper or such will only clog up.

Edited by Rooster (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

I read some time ago about an older gentleman located outside of Chattanooga, Tenn that revulcanized Buick running boards.

Don't recall if he wanted them "as is" or sand blasted clean.

Anybody know if he is still around ?

Mike in Colorado

• 5 years later...

Like many restorers, I’m looking to have my runningboards covered. Hunley Ackhoff is out of business and the company, Running Board Rubber out of  McBride, BC Canada , is quoting me $3000. Too high a price for me.  Steel rubber products has matting for $1000 with some splicing required. I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone who has had experience with this product. I would also appreciate knowing if there are other companies that re-vulcanize, provide matting, et cetera. 
BRodd

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like the same stuff I used to make a trunk mat for my '38 Buick.  They had different lengths (36" wide, IIRC) and I think mine was 3' x 4'.  Trimmed to fit and it looks like it could have been there originally.  It's nice because it keeps things from sliding around.  Price was reasonable too...  ;)

• Like 1