shipping a car overseas

Guest bestcars

Guest bestcars

i got approved for a loan and today registered my brand new car. I wanna ride it in famous European roads I just don’t know how to ship the car. a shipping company was asking for a letter from loan company to authorize shipping but when I contacted the credit union they couldn’t understand what I mean. I’m sure they wouldn’t accept my request so I won’t bother myself contacting them again.

is there any shipping method to send my car without the letter or a shipping company that accept a normal handwritten letter (by myself) to finish the job? I'm close to border, can I go to Mexico and ship it from there? what documents I need?

Customs in the EU and the USA REQUIRES the original title to go with the car, and a bond must be posted for taxes if not removed on time. With a lean on the car you won't have title in hand.  If you don't have deep pockets, don't bother. We sent two cars over to England in August, and then back to the state's three weeks later, we got the titles back last week. Ed

Edinmass is correct and offers good advice.  You need to have the shipper contact you credit union directly to explain what is needed.  Give the shipper the name and phone number of the person to contact at the credit union.  The credit union may have to let the title go with the car and I suspect the authorization letter is for the credit union to acknowledge that their security on the loan is being shipped over seas.  Also, you need to find out what registration requirements may be to be able to drive your car on European roads and how to purchase liability insurance for that location.

I remember once pricing out shipping from the US to Europe.  I recall a car carrier boat that ships out of Baltimore every three weeks or so.  They offer a lower cost drive-in, drive-off service and when last priced was in the $1,500 range.  Their first European port, if I recall, was in Germany.

Chris

Bestcars, contact Mexican Customs and see what they say and as Ed said, you will need the title to get the car released from customs in Europe.  I think you need to put your dream on hold until you have paid for the car and have title in hand.

Your credit union is not going to let you leave the country with that car. Period. That's their security on the loan and if you and the security are in another country, they have no recourse when you decide to stop paying for it. You do need the title, not just a letter, because US Customs will want to be sure you're not a terrorist using a car for financial cover, and whatever country you're landing in will want to make sure that they are not due any taxes.

There is no way to ship a car out of the US without a title. I don't know if you can drive into Mexico and ship it from there, you'll have to contact the Mexican authorities, but I'm betting that coming back into the US you'll have more than a few questions to answer that might be uncomfortable. It may also cause the bank to call in the loan. They absolutely, positively do not want you leaving the country with the car, putting it (and you) out of legal reach. I bet it even says so in your loan agreement, and that agreement should also spell out the penalties for doing so. Read it, all your questions will be answered. We can't supply you a clever way of circumventing the law and your loan agreement.

Finish paying for the car (use the money you'd spend on this trip to get ahead of it), then do your European drive.

• Like 1

Matt's right. I just sent a Porsche to Germany last week and the carrier required the title to go with the car. The bill of lading shows car, title, any spare parts, any damage, special notes, etc. Your carrier will not touch the car without a title. That's the way it works.

This is interesting. My state, Rhode Island, didn't issue titles until the 1980s (I've forgotten the exact date...) and even now does not require one for registration purposes if the car was built before 2000. I think they will supply a letter, for overseas transport, saying there is no such thing as a RI title for an earlier car. Unfortunately, they will only do it for cars leaving the country. I practically pulled my hair out trying to deal with Pennsylvania over the sale of a 1905 Cadillac...

Wouldn't you think there was some way that state DMV's could access that information? In the end, I had to get through to an assistant director before I could find someone with enough common sense to verify that no title existed. That was years ago but it left me with a permanent distaste for the bureaucratic idiots that seem to congregate in motor vehicle departments.

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 10:59 AM, Matt Harwood said:

We can't supply you a clever way of circumventing the law and your loan agreement.

Finish paying for the car (use the money you'd spend on this trip to get ahead of it), then do your European drive.

Well said Matt.

Previous posts by knowledgeable people have pretty well outlined the steps one must take to lawfully send a car overseas; however, it seems as if that advice hasn't provided the original poster with the answers he was seeking.  Advice on how to circumvent the law and violate contracts should be sought from lawyers, not collector car folks.

Cheers,

Grog

The OP probably has a standard auto loan where the lienholder is listed on the title. It is possible but harder to finance a car with a personal loan. Then no lienholder would be on the title. The personal loan would need a bigger down payment and tiptop credit. It might not be a viable option.

Matt nailed it.  Lienholders aren't going to want the vehicle somewhere they have no authority.  It's their vehicle, after all.

I will add, just for educational purposes, some states (like KY where I live) are title holding states, meaning you, the individual, still hold the physical paper title when there is a lien, not the bank.  Of course the title shows there is a lien.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)