1939 dodge business coupe

garyp1

I am doing a frame off restoration on my 1939 dodge and from what I can find out t s a pretty rare car I have been to a couple of car shows and have not seen a 39 business coupe yet. I have done a lot of work on cars bt this is my first frame off and any advise would be appreciated. The car s very sold with little rot or rust so far  have the front end off the car and motor and trans out and am sending the motor to a buddy of mine from Vietnam and he will rebuild it for me it ran very good but I noticed quite a few oil leaks and the freezeout plugs were weeping also a lot of sludge in the pan and lifter area..I want to keep it as original as I possibly can but the color of the car is not so nice it is a marine beige and was wondering if I repaint it can I change the color without affecting the value of the car? Thanks in advance for the help.  

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like an interesting project.

Would you like to start a thread under "Our Cars and Restoration Projects"? See a little further down. I am sure we will enjoy it and can help. We are a visual lot tho', so pictures help. i.e. we like pictures!

• Like 1

They offered a choice of colors that year. Maybe you can find something you like better. Old cars always look better in a color they came with. Here is a site with color charts.

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?year=1939&make=Dodge&model=Dodge&gncl=All&action=Get+Paint+Codes

The chips aren't very good. This may give a better idea of how the car looks in different colors.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=1939+dodge&biw=1201&bih=558&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj5g7ea_snPAhUn6oMKHcl7DnoQsAQIGw

• Like 1

gary-you can often go on ebay and buy a color chart for your year for around 20.

a worthwhile proposition to see it in person and make a decision.

remember some colors are more favorable then others to the general masses, such as red or blue. If keeping the car, choose what you like best.

You will not hurt the value of a 39 Dodge coupe buy painting it a more desirable color. If you find a stock color you like, great. If not, look at other period colors, from other makes of cars from the same era. If still not happy, look to modern colors. It is your car, put your stamp of individuality on it, and hit the road.