1925 Top Bow measurements

MikeC5

Does anyone happen to have measurements of the bow widths?  I'm getting around 58 & 1/2 on bows 1 and 4 but 2 and 3 are shorter (number 2 is only 56 & 1/2 and has a different curvature (similar to this photo).  Also, number 4 bow is about twice as wide in cross section as the others and has a contoured shape to make the horizontal to vertical transition more graceful (I guess).  I can just about make out a part number on it which looks like parts catalog number 1422 so it may be original. 

IMG_1112.JPG

Hi Pete,  my car didn't even come with top sockets much les bows.  I recently found a set for sale and only have clues..  As I mentioned, number 4 does have a part number, 1422, and number 1 bow has P/N 1230.  Both numbers do correspond to the DB master parts list.  Unfortunately, bows 2 and 3 do not have any markings.  Can you tell if width of bow 2 is noticeably shorter than 1? 

OK now that everyone is back from Hershey...  In addition to the above question I'm hoping to get some detail on what material is used for the anchor straps where they connect to the anchor tabs on the tub (see photo).  Also what is dimension from body anchor tab to clip?  In case anyone is wondering, I took a retired top bow, shortened it, sliced it lengthwise to 1" tall, used a heat gun and clamps to contour it to the body and then added two 1/4" thick strips of oak (more heat gun, clamps, Gorilla Glue) and voila!

PA102299s.jpg

PA102302s.jpg

Edited by MikeC5 (see edit history)

Mike, The second bow appears to be about 54", inside measurement. The bracket you are holding in photo is different than mine. same slot on top, but a J hook at bottom that hooks into slot of the body bracket. Those straps are 7/8" wide that are probably nailed at rear of top bow, being one long piece each side. They loop through my J hook bracket and go back up to bow and that end is nailed also. Each entire strap appears to be about 38"- 40" long. The straps appear to be made of a folded burlap core with a linen covering sewn through itself in two rows. They seem to be pretty tough in strength.

My top bows are covered with a black linen.

Edited by Pete K. (see edit history)

Thanks Pete.  I appreciate the info.  Mine are repro brackets I got from Myers (I think).  A metal hook does sound like it would be more secure.  It will be easy to make a hook that rivets to the bracket.  It does sound like your 2nd bow is very close to what I have.  (I'll check inside dimension). 

A friend of mine, who is approaching 99 years of age and has traded in old car parts for 80 years, has these frames he wants to sell. He tells me they are for '25 Dodge Tourer. He's asking $100 plus shipping. Don't know if they may be any good to anyone following this thread, either as a guide or for use. Wood is excellent on all of them, lower part of one iron is broke. As with all these old sets, the wood has likely lost some of its shape as it tries to straighten out after having been in his barn for 60 years. Send me a PM if interested, I'm in Nova Scotia Canada, so shipping may be an issue for some. Finally, if they do not appear to be for '25 Dodge, let me know, the old guy's memory is pretty dood, but it has been 60 years!

'25DodgeTop1.JPG

25DodgeTop4.JPG

25DodgeTop3.JPG

25DodgeTop2.JPG

• 4 years later...