Laser Rust Removal

bill pritchett

I have not seen this here before and hope I am not repeating a topic.  YouTube has a video of the laser removing rust.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLaBFkeHG0A.  However, I do not think Harbor Freight will have it any time soon.  There is another blurb in Road and Track: http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/classic-cars/videos/a30597/best-rust-remover-laser/.

16 hours ago, bill pritchett said:

I think somewhere I saw that it was about $50,000 so I will wait for Harbor Freight to get it down to a more affordable $25K.

But it will break after one use...... For that money in most cases it would be easier to buy a better car...

What have you purchased that BROKE after one use?

I have several HF power tools, and NONE have broke, NOT saying there aren't BETTER longer lasting tools, but for the most part they do a decent job.  IMHO.

I have 6 cordless drills, and NONE have failed over the past 5+ years.  I don't care to change bits, hehe.

Dale in Indy

The laser rust removal is a awesome tool, but for now it is $50k. once it gets to below $1k, I may bite, until then, $50k will buy me a lot of rust removal.

I only buy HF tools to make other tools with. Single use kinda stiff. I'd never consider HF for anything precise. I've had open end wrences spread and round off bolts. I even broke a  1 1/4" in half! 

I used a machine like this. It was about 8 years ago. They had a big trailer they would tow around and then it had a wand on a cable that you used on the work. It worked amazingly well. It would not hurt rubber. I did the door edges on my car and it cleaned right up to the door seals. You could point it at just about anything but your eyes. It blasted paint and rust right off leaving bare clean metal ready for paint. (Aside from whatever pitting or holes were there).  It was fast and I think probably the most amazing tool I have ever used.

Edited by Linus Tremaine (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 7 years later...
On 10/3/2016 at 2:35 AM, smithbrother said:

What have you purchased that BROKE after one use?

I have several HF power tools, and NONE have broke, NOT saying there aren't BETTER longer lasting tools, but for the most part they do a decent job.  IMHO.

I have 6 cordless drills, and NONE have failed over the past 5+ years.  I don't care to change bits, hehe.

Dale in Indy

HANTENCNC

We did a job at a very high-end facility this past week. They had a new toy. A giant laser paint/rust laser removal system... Holly crap was this tool incredible. Does anyone here have one...because I want one now.