Desperate for help Friday night at RM Auction

Steve Moskowitz

I'm genuinely interested in two things: 1) How much does RM pay to push cars/guard doors? 2) Why would you have to be involved with this with everything else that is on your plate this week? I mean they "only" get 20% ( 10% from both the buyer and the seller) plus a consignment fee for selling a car. I realize that their overhead is high to rent a facility, pay regular employees and insurance , etc, but come on!  I hope the answer to question 1 is not zero, and again can't figure why RM can't take care of this without involving you. Please educate me when you have a second to spare. I'm  a muddled thinker, and usually fail to grasp the obvious. :unsure:

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

5 hours ago, 31 Caddy said:

I'm genuinely interested in two things: 1) How much does RM pay to push cars/guard doors? 2) Why would you have to be involved with this with everything else that is on your plate this week? I mean they "only" get 20% ( 10% from both the buyer and the seller) plus a consignment fee for selling a car. I realize that their overhead is high to rent a facility, pay regular employees and insurance , etc, but come on!  I hope the answer to question 1 is not zero, and again can't figure why RM can't take care of this without involving you. Please educate me when you have a second to spare. I'm  a muddled thinker, and usually fail to grasp the obvious. :unsure:

My thoughts exactly, but I know I'm a skeptic....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

I often wonder how many cars get damaged buy guys pushing on the wrong areas? Bob

Bob, I have always wondered that too!

If an auction vendor wanted to put an event in the Giant center that would be fun for the flea market guys but I'm not sure it would be a money maker.  It just isn't a great location.  The Lodge is a great location so I doubt RM would ever move from there.

First, it is very COMMON practice for auction company's to use volunteer help at auctions.  In our case we have a swim team and boy scout troop but unfortunately they were not able to fill the schedule due to football games, etc.  RM makes a very nice donation to each group.  RM also has been a huge sponsor/partner/friend to AACA and is the major sponsor each year at the Night at the Museum.  That is why I (we) help.

Secondly, In all the years the auction has been held here I am not aware of a single instance of damage from pusher's as they are instructed where to push and in almost all cases it is the bumper.

And Last...most auction companies that have looked at the Giant center for an auction do not like the venue due to the amphitheater seating and layout.  There is a serious concern about people walking up and down the steps.  It is also big and not conducive to a boutique auctions and very important it is extremely expensive to rent. 

It was fun pushing the cars at the auction.  My 16 yr old son really enjoyed, especially pushing the $1.9 million Duesenberg :)  Nice to also see what goes on behind the scenes, vs sitting in audience which we've done in past.  RM team was great!  Met some nice new people too :) Thanks!  Chuck Swanson

Edited by ChazA (see edit history)
  • Like 1