Filming the Swap Meet with a Drone?

1937hd45

Wow, never thought of this.  My son has a high tech drone that does a great job of filming, and can go 500+ feet up, and is dead steady.  That would be interesting,!!  Now I'm thinking, wait, I can see on the computer screen what the drone sees, maybe I'll just let it go up and down the rows to identify what I want to go look at...as he would say, awesome idea, and there are no restrictions on drones at Hershey!

Just hope I don't have to tie cans to the back of it...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

Just watched an ad for a mini drone that allows you to film just about anything, could some film the Hershey Swap Meet? Bob

Hi, Bob.

This late in the game I would not be too optimistic about requesting of the property owner "Hershey Entertainment & Resorts" it this is OK with them.  I envision liability issues if one would go down onto people, the Penn State Milton S. Hershey hospital has MediVac helicopters not far from the site coming into the trauma center, opening up the door for anyone to use a drone over what is basically an Amusement Park and we are only using their property for the Fall Meet.

Agree a wonderful concept however...

Peter J.

Hershey Entertainment & Resorts has never permitted drones on propertyFilming the event needs to be approved and proper releases filed with them. There are a lot of valid reasons for this but I will mention one:  I attended a large event this summer that a drone was used by a pilot and experienced drone user.  Guess what, the drone crashed.  Thankfully not into someone's car or body.  There is just too much liability to allow wholesale use of these with people of various degrees of proficiency.

First, let me say that I am NOT going to do this at Hershey, this is just conversation.

That said, my son has a state of the art (a drone for the common folk, not the megabuck drones that are out there, think slightly under 1K) drone.  It can fly 500 feet or higher, and you hardly see it at that height.  It remains perfectly steady and can zoom in on items on the ground, making video that's clear as a bell, it's amazing.  It has a positioning system, and I've seen it in 30 mph winds keep absolutely still relative to where we were on the ground.

It would be a fun thing to take a good video of the grounds, but fully understand liability issues, it's all fun and games until someone gets hurt, so won't happen...shucks...