1962 Electra 225 A/C questions

GrampaBud

I recently bought a '62 225 with factory air that does not work. A trusted shop asked if I have a shop manual, which I do not have. Does anyone know if the shop manual has a section on A/C? I live in Phoenix, AZ. Does anyone have a suggestion for a shop here that is familiar with cars like mine?

If you found a shop that asked for a manual you are in the right place. I would say continue to work with them.  .....for a whole lot of reasons.

I'm reminded of a discussion about a local mechanic that must have taken place around 1964. Someone said "Why, he can tear apart a Powerglide transmission, throw all the parts in a corner , and come back months later and put it all together." The guy was a jerk and I have seen so many aspire to be like him over the decades. Stick with a guy who reads.

Here is a 1960 that has a similar system: http://www.teambuick.com/reference/library/60_chassis/11-a.php

Pete's right.

Bernie

• Like 1

Thank you everyone!!!

Bill, I did some checking on eBay, found a good price on a used manual, it's on the way.

Paul, I'll start looking for R-12 and I'll keep Classic Auto Air in mind for parts and rebuilds.

Pete, thanks for the heads up on prices. I sure hope I end up closer to the $200 than $2000 and I'm sure my wife will too!!!!

Bernie, when I mentioned maybe going to a Vintage Air unit he began explaining why he would not recommend it. Lots of modification and fabrication. He also said he thinks the compressor may be OE based on the tags/labels. He knew where to get it rebuilt. 

Again, THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!

I really appreciate the advice and quickness of getting it to me.

If that 62 has an A6 compressor ( vs an A5) then you can buy a brand new one from NAPA or any good parts store.  New is FAR better than any rebuild!   If you are going to keep the car, don't fret a 2K investment in that system.  It will bring you 10K in relief on the open road!!! and a lot more relief in sale price when/if you decide to let the car go.

Yeah, an A6 can usually be fixed by a whack with a hammer, pretty durable piece of equipment.

Just for observation, tell the guy you want a Vintage Air conversion, fabricated aluminum radiator, a scary disk brake conversion, an alternator conversion, Mercury tape driven power window conversion, with door panel delete. Might get you both on TV or thrown out of his shop.

Ever heard of the National Wild Turkey Federation?

WTFc.jpg

Bernie