oil in radiator

bob duffer

I got home from a short 5 mile drive and i notice oil leaking from under the 34 Buick ., Pulled it into the garage and looked under the car

and its coming from the radiator over flow tube. I open take the radiator cap off and out comes a lot of oil and radiator fluid mix.  I didn't think this was a pressurized system but it was really coming out . I put the cap back on and checked the oil . Less than a quarter inch on the stick. Any ideas 

what happened? I'm guessing a head gasket, but i thought i would ask you all first. It is a straight 8 . I'm glad i shut the engine off when i did.  It was running fine . 

Before replacing the head gasket you might try re-torquing the head bolts. If the gasket is not too rusty you might be able to save it and save the labor of removing the head. Specs call for 65 - 70 foot pounds on those bolts.

The head bolts on the manifold side are easy to get to with a torque wrench. The bolts on the distributor side, you can't get them with a torque wrench without removing the rocker arms which is a pain, but you can get to them with a very long box wrench, maybe 14 or 16 inches long, and slide it between the rocker arms. You can guess the torque, just tighten them as much as you can, 70 pounds of force on a 12 inch wrench is 70 foot pounds.

I bet $100 that at least 10 or 15 of those 23 bolts are loose.

I am not very comfortable taking the engine apart . Are there any shops in Michigan that i can trust to do the job ? Maybe pull the engine and get it painted while i'm at it?  Rebuild it?  I can have the car flat bedded to there shop if anyone knows of anyplace . Thanks for the replies.

21 minutes ago, bob duffer said:

I am not very comfortable taking the engine apart . Are there any shops in Michigan that i can trust to do the job ? Maybe pull the engine and get it painted while i'm at it?  Rebuild it?  I can have the car flat bedded to there shop if anyone knows of anyplace . Thanks for the replies.

All you have to do to re-torque the head bolts is take off the valve cover, the bolts are right there. The whole job might take half an hour and it might fix the problem. Worth a try, and anybody who can tighten a wrench can do it.

Head gaskets on these cars are not the modern rubber and plastic things that crack and burn and need to be replaced. Head gaskets on the fireball 8 are solid metal and if they aren't rusty, all you have to do is re-tighten the head and voila.

ok i'll give it a try , will there be radiator fluid in the cyl. holes that will have to be removed before re- starting?  When i get done 

tightening? I already drained the radiator from the bottom cock . It was green up until the last 2 cups or so then it was nasty thick brown.

1 hour ago, bob duffer said:

ok i'll give it a try , will there be radiator fluid in the cyl. holes that will have to be removed before re- starting?  When i get done 

tightening? I already drained the radiator from the bottom cock . It was green up until the last 2 cups or so then it was nasty thick brown.

I would change the oil before trying to start it again, after torquing the bolts. As for radiator fluid in the cylinders, yeah that would be a problem if there was too much, you could get hydro and destroy the engine, so maybe to be on the safe side, remove the spark plugs and crank the engine for a few seconds to get all the water out of there. But on second thought, there probably isn't much water in there. Too much water and the engine would never have run in the first place, and you said it was running. So that little bit of water is too small to worry about.

Good luck. You may need to change the radiator fluid a few times because half the coolant is in the water jacket not just the radiator.

Edited by Morgan Wright (see edit history)

10 minutes ago, critterpainter said:

Does your engine have an oil cooler?  Buick called it a temperature regulator.  it is bolted to the block just above the water pump and it will have 4 lines going to it.  Two for water and 2 for oil.   If it sprung an internal leak, it can pump oil into the cooling system when running. 

Yes it does have an oil cooler , I just had it off last fall cleaning it. I wonder if the insides of that came apart- like you said and got in the coolant . Thanks

for the suggestion= I will check that too. that just might  my be the problem .

You would have to make a "U" shaped tube for the oil to connect inlet directly to the outlet since all the oil went through the cooler.

Since there is a leak, you might have to make a water pipe that would connect the water pump outlet directly to the engine. Leaving the oil cooler in place may give you a leak out of the, now open, oil line in thecooler. You might be able to plug those holes, but things are really tight around there.

Your choices  are, 1. replace the core (I have not seen any NOS cores available and any old cores will have high potential of leaking)  

2.   Repair the core (risk of other places leaking in the near future)

3.  Bypass the cooler.  The two oil line fittings in the block MUST be connected to maintain oil flow to the bearings.  You can easily make a plate to fit the cooler mount at the block and add a pipe to connect by a rubber hose from the pump to the new plate.  Two of the four junk engines I got had this bypass.  Some people like to see the Buick logo cooler cover and so you remove the core, and plug the oil line connector holes.  This method does mean that the oil line loop has to be a tight bend. I have seen several show cars done this way.

Bob Engle 

Take the oil cooler to Ferndale Radiator.  It is on Woodward just north of 9 mile on the east side of the road. Talk to Mel.  They have been working on radiators for ever.  They made the new radiator for my truck. If anyone can fix it, they can. Tell him I sent you.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Here's a photo of one block with home made mods.  My other one has been stripped so no photos.  I checked my photo galleries and could not find a picture of a bypassed unit on a car.

Remember, The stamped steel covers on the coolers are prone to rust through.  Some people epoxy coat the inside of the cover.  I have one spare cover that is coated.

If I were to do the bypass, I would remove the two fittings in the block and replace them with right angle fittings facing away from the block.  This will allow more room for the "U" shaped tub to connect the two fittings.

Bob Engle

DSCN2520_1024x768.JPG

• Like 1