1929 DB Merchants Express PU

Guest Harry Hill

Going to be doing mine on my '31 this Winter . I see oak on the thin joists, have not determined ends type, looks different maybe poplar. Need to disassemble  and clean layers of paint . Have you found the topping yet . Original on mine says Supre Lustre inside, by Chase Drednaut .

Guest Harry Hill

I was thinking Ash on the top slats, I need to make all new slats, mine are painted but I can't tell for sure what the wood is. I'll take some by the wood working shop and see if they can tell me. I've let this truck sit for too long and now it's time to get it back on the road. It's all original so I'm just going to repair the stuff that needs it but leave it as original as possible. I'm not sure if I can get the vacuum fuel tank working correctly, that has always been a problem for me so right now it will run an electric fuel pump.

14 minutes ago, ArticiferTom said:

Yes , Most any harder wood would do . If you notice the pictures of the DB/Graham truck factory post here . The building next door is a lumber company .

Where can I find the photo? Is it the Braun Lumber Corporation?

Whatever timber you use, it needs to be fairly stable under service temperature and moisture conditions and have straight grain, which makes it easy to work and make sharp shapes. It should also be on the stronger or harder side of the timber types. Ash is good. In this country we like Southland Beech, which grows slowly in a cooler climate so is fairly dense with close rings and thus even grain. If you go to a furniture or woodworking shop they may tell you which cuts to get so it doesn't warp with time; kiln drying reduces warping. You don't want knots in it.

Guest Harry Hill
13 hours ago, ArticiferTom said:

Harry here some pics of two different '31 DB trucks .

1931 dodge 009.JPG20160607_180602.jpg

thanks Tom, the 29 roof is different, it looks like lath slats, about 30 of them.

Did not know that . Pic if you can . Is the topping labeled on inside ? Here mine         4   CHASE    31 

SUPER LUSTRE    

DREDNAUT

20160607_184046.jpg

Guest Harry Hill
2 hours ago, ArticiferTom said:

Did not know that . Pic if you can . Is the topping labeled on inside ? Here mine         4   CHASE    31 

SUPER LUSTRE    

DREDNAUT

20160607_184046.jpg

No topping, at least not any more. I will take a picture and post it.

From a trimmer's viewpoint, oak is not a good choice.  Splits very easily when a tack is put in anywhere near the edge or in the grain.  Ash is a wonderful wood to work with and use, holds fasteners quite well, although once aged for a few years, becomes hard as a rock....

Guest Harry Hill
1 hour ago, TerryB said:

I see your truck has the early sun-roof option!  Should be great to see it back on the road.

Terry

I just wasn't appreciating what I had until you pointed it out to me. I got her fired up today. It's been sitting a long time so I had some varnish issues in the fuel system. The float is stuck in the carb so it overflowed but that is an easy fix. I have ignored this old girl for way to long and it feels good to be working on her again. With any luck I will drive it to our classic car cruise the first friday in October. I don't think she'll be ready for this Friday.

Stakeside that is some beautiful wood work and oak . You probable cringe like I do every time I have to paint over or cover it . My handle gives my other hobby away  as a cannon and carriage builder . All with white and some red oak ,hickory wheels and ash poles . Then painted olive green , uck !