Rear Door Glass

Wooly15

Is the rear door glass the same on both sides? My daughter slammed the passenger side rear door pretty hard the other day and now there's a nice crack. The donor Super at the junk yard only has a good back window on the drivers side. Are they interchangeable?

Adam

38 minutes ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Your local auto glass should also be able to replicate fairly easy.

Only if you replace all the glass. The tint will be close, but not close enough next to the real thing. I guess it also depends on where they get the laminate from,  but new laminate versus 60 year laminate is hard to match. At least, in my experience thus far. 

I've been trying to remedy a similar issue (passenger door) and finally found a piece locally.  I can't imagine switching tracks to be difficult, but it's just flat glass so at the very least just swap frames. Probably easier said than done...

• Like 2

Check with Buick Farm out of, I believe, New Jersey.  They have a great website.  http://www.buickfarm.net/

I bought a rear door NOS glass from them a few years ago for my '50 Special.  Granted, mine was clear, but they may have a stock of the green tinted as well.  Price for window was about $70 if I recall correctly.  Couldn't believe they had NOS glass still in original Buick factory box!! 

• Like 2

Here is a place tucked away in Northern NY.  Rustic Auto Parts ,85 Conners Rd, PeruNY 12972 - - (518) 643-8839

I was there several years ago and while there discovered that they had bought out a glass collection and set it up here.  Granted, it is mostly used glass but we were told it was pieces in the thousands.  It certainly looked like it. 

Anyway I'm not sure if they still have this or not.  They don't have a web site, but I know someone who has a summer place near there and they said he is still in business.

• Like 1