Vintage Battery Charger

Hudsy Wudsy

I think it is a commercial genset and not a battery charger. If it has jumper type cables they may have been added by someone with just enough knowledge to be dangerous. Small gensets for 50 cycle output were pretty common for machine shops that imported European tools. Seems like I remember tripping over one at the top of the stairs on nearly every mezzanine.

The chargers with the big rectifier tube were pretty common up through the 1960's. We had a couple in my Grandfather's shop.

Bernie

• Like 1

You know, Bernie, I think that you're right about this having been modified from it's original design. The center knob appears to control some sort of large rheostat which can be seen from the back side. Directly below that center knob, on the front, are holes into which taps might have passed through to the back. I think that the area around those holes might indicate that something has been removed. I shouldn't have taken the seller's description as accurate. Dep5, thanks for the detailed information. It all makes more sense now.

James Sheehan

Minneapolis

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

I once had a small battery charger that used a 46 Ford generator, direct drive, with a small air compressor driven by a belt. It was factory built and had wheels and a handle for pulling it around in a used car lot.

I painted my first car with it in an enclosed garage with no fan. (I got as drunk as a skunk from the fumes)

• Like 1

It's neat to see things like this and speculate on how it might be used.  I have an old Snap-on battery charger that I inherited from my late father in law back in the 1990s.  The wheels on it have wide white walls so I always call it my antique battery charger!  

Terry

• Like 1