1957 Buick Special Restoration

Guest jiraola

Welcome to the forum.  May I ask what your vision for this car is ?  Complete restoration for a trailer, or updating for a driver?  Nothing wrong with either one, just curious because that car looks pretty good to me as it sits.

• Like 2

Guest jiraola

I would like to get it nice enough to drive occasionally but not necessarily going for show. The interior needs everything. Floors are rusted and need replaced. All of the door panels are off and need re-done. Seats are not usable at this point. Engine starts but not firing on all cylinders. Tires need replacing. Paint is a low quality re-spray with a few portions peeling. Just spent an arm and a leg buying a rear bumper end that was completely rusted and not usable .....

So, I think a full restore would be the best summary. It's a solid car that could just drive with a few thousand but I think it can be much better. Father and son project. 

So , may I paraphrase?  It sounds like you just want  nice quality driver vehicle. That is commendable.  Too many times we see folks jump in to do a full restoration and wind up with a basket case cause they underestimate the amount of time, energy, and dollars needed for such a project, and ultimately lose all their investments.  It will be fun to watch your progress.  Be sure to ask questions if you run into any situations you'd like an opinion on.   I wish you and your son Good luck.  Be sure to show him this forum, to get, and keep, him enthused.

Guest jiraola

It will be my father and me but I'm sure my 5yr old will like to help. Thanks! And I'm sure I will have thousands of questions. 

20 hours ago, SpecialEducation said:

423328_272567902818755_1016497666_n.jpg?

Here's my dad and son putting the grille back on.  This was March 2012, so he was not quite 3...

Great photo!   Wrench turning with Dad and Grandpa with those old car smells, the car talk, occasional busted knuckles with a lil' blood, and some early exposure to a bit of cussin'.  Male familial bonding at its finest.  What happens in the garage, stays in the garage... 

Dan

• Like 1

It does look decent, at least in the pictures. We all like pictures here, just like the kids do, so keep posting them! Whether there are pretty or not, it doesn't matter.

The trouble with poor paint, is that it makes for more work to get it the way you want it, and more often than not, it is hiding some bodywork sins.

One possibility is to fix the floors, mechanical safety systems, and drive it some. This gives you some satisfaction, and pleasure from the car and your efforts.

Keith

• Like 2

Wow ... looks like a good starting point car ... good luck!

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic (needs new owner)
"Can money pay for all the days I lived awake but half asleep?" __ Primitive Radio Gods __ 'Standing Outside A Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand'

Guest jiraola

Thanks! It looks better in these pictures but is still pretty solid. Today it made it to the garage (and it barely fits). 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, jiraola said:

Anybody can recommend a good trim removal tool?

The first tool I that is essential is a copy of the body service and construction manual for the 1957 model year.  Concerning trim removal in that manual you will find phrases like, "...pry upward", or "insert flat-bladed tool under outer edge of molding and pry toward glass..."  In my experience, all you need is a copy of the manual, a pry tool with a width of 2 to 2.5 inches, a soft, clean towel, and plenty of patience.  There are kits that have an assortment of plastic prying and hooking tools.  I have one but never used it once to completely remove the trim from my '49.  Can't emphasize enough - patience.  And use a digital camera to document everything, like the position and orientation of clips.  You will be very glad you did.  After I removed each piece, I did a short video clip as a reminder of how I got the piece off the car.

Dan

I'd save the money on pry tools.  the 57 is probably a lot like my 56, where almost all clips are bolted through the body.  The exception is the doors.  There you'll find a screw at the front and at the back of the door frame against the inside of the outer skin. Then the center clips may pop off to remove the door sweepspear trim.  Everything else you may want to look at how to get to the inside of the body panel. Definitely research before taking it apart.  Some of that trim is difficult to find.  No point in ruining it if it can be removed undamaged.