Need advice 6 volt fuel pump for 1923 4 cylinder car

lump

Hello, guys. I love reading all the fantastic technical info which so many experts offer us all here on the AACA technical forum. 

For MANY years I have owned a 1923 Hupmobile Model R, 4 cylinder touring car. It's been driven all over the midwest, since about 1962. YEARS ago my dad replaced the old vacuum canister fuel pump with a 6 volt electric pump, which proved much more reliable. 

Recently I got tired of fighting the rusty gas tank. I've tried everything, and finally just let the car set for several years. Finally I got a brand new stainless steel tank made in the exact same size and shape of the original one. But now, with the new tank in place, I found that the old electric fuel pump was shot. As I prepare to buy a new one, I wonder if any of you can make good recommendations of specific brands/models? 

In the past I have had trouble with the fuel pump overpowering the needle/float inside the old brass updraft Stromberg M-1 carburetor, and finally found a pump with a built-in fuel pressure regulator. I'm sure I'll need to do that again too. What brand/style of pressure regulator do you guys use? How much pressure do you think is about right for this application? 

Hupp gas tanks Paul Frost LO REZ.jpg

The guy in the photo above is my very good friend and famous old-time drag racing icon, Paul Frost. He campaigned Willys gassers all over the USA in the 60's, and later was crew chief for Billy-the-Kid Stepp Super Stock drag cars, among others. I love this guy. 

I used be a sheet metal worker, and I knew I could make this shape of gas tank easily, if I still had access to equipment. But an old friend who still is an active tin bender offered to make the tank for me, complete with original style seams on the end caps, baffles inside, and thick-gauge reinforcements where threaded fittings will go. 

Paul Frost then took the tank and machined fill-neck and gas-gauge necks with proper threads, etc. He also restored the original zinc diecast fuel gauge/fuel-pickup assembly. I'll show photos of that later. 

So now I need to supply him with a new 6 volt electric fuel pump and a pressure regulator, which combined will deliver really light fuel pressure at my M-1 Stromberg. 

I am really looking forward to any advice you experts can offer. 

Thanks! 

You can get an inline regulator at most any parts store.. They have a dial that will let you set the pressure. I would think you only need a couple of pounds pressure unless that car gets horrible mileage.

You should be able to buy a low pressure electric pump, you only need a couple of pounds at most.  If you're going to use a regulator, try to find a good one, most of the cheapy chrome ones I've seen aren't very reliable.

The original vacuum system works fine if everything is in good repair. 

Carry a good fire extinguisher, I've almost lost two good cars to engine fires that weren't helped by electric pumps, and in both cases got rid of the electric pumps and went back to the original fuel supply system.....

Good advice, Trimacar. Since I was a child, my family has always carried a good fire extinquisher in our old Hupp. 

I don't recall how the pump my dad installed was wired, but I plan to wire this one so that it will only have voltage when the engine is running, I spent a lot of years hot rodding in muscle cars (before they were collectible), and knew of cases in which cars (and people) burned up when electric fuel pumps kept pumping fuel after an accident. 

I have a decent Stewart vacuum fuel pump it you want to go back to an original system, which is quite reliable if you keep the crude out of it - easy with your new tank and today's fuels.

Scott

smrdeza@lentel.com

Hello Lump,

Denny Long here. Put a Stewart vacuum system back on that Hupp. That old needle and seat will only

accommodate about 1/2 lb. of pressure before it starts to leak. If you regulate a electric pump this low

you will have a fuel volume issue at higher speeds.

All my older cars are running Stewart  tanks without any issues and perform much better than electrics.

I have a low pressure 6 volt Airtex  in stock and more than likely have a fully restored Stewart tank for your Hupp.

I will check this weekend.

If you have the original tank , we'll fix you up with a rebuild kit.

E-mail me.

Dennis