Sometimes, life is about driving

Before my 4th open heart surgery, 11/11/2011, & my full-time job loss February 2012, I had several cars & enjoyed sunshine-splashed weekends filled with pure driving.  I sure miss those days!  I know life will never be the same, but I still think, to some extent, this is very, very true.  Who all loves to just drive for the fun of it?
http://www.oldcarsstronghearts.com/2016/07/17/daily-dose-savvy-sun-69/

Remember when the speed limit was 55!?
http://www.oldcarsstronghearts.com/2016/07/15/flashback-friday-69/

I love mechanical art & look forward to featuring close-ups of some of these pieces:
http://www.oldcarsstronghearts.com/2016/07/16/saturday-smorgasbord-70/

2-DAY EVENT ;) S Elgin IL, with restaurant & hotel discounts:
http://www.oldcarsstronghearts.com/2016/07/12/tuesday-trip-69/
"Let's don't let a good thing die" __ Elvis Presley __ 'Suspicious Minds'

Run to South Florida a few times a year and just helped a friend haul a car back from Atlanta. Does 900 miles in 17 hours (including stops to pick up U-Haul trailer, then car & unload near Tampa) count ? All of my cars can run 70 in 95 degree heat with ac going all day.

ps remember when 55 started and ended. Before was 65 day and 55 night on most state roads. Heck remember speed limit was once "Reasonable and Proper" & crossing the state was a high speed experience since was little in the middle besides Okeechobee and Sebring.

On July 17, 2016 at 6:48 PM, John_Maine said:

I used to but when gas got so expensive, I stopped taking unnecessary trips / rides. And now that gas is a little less expensive, I've just never gone back to my old habits. 

When I had a full-time job, the higher gas prices didn't really bother me, partly b/c the cars were my main expense anyway.  So, for me, it has having to sell them that forced a change in habits.

On July 17, 2016 at 7:31 PM, padgett said:

Run to South Florida a few times a year and just helped a friend haul a car back from Atlanta. Does 900 miles in 17 hours (including stops to pick up U-Haul trailer, then car & unload near Tampa) count ? All of my cars can run 70 in 95 degree heat with ac going all day.

ps remember when 55 started and ended. Before was 65 day and 55 night on most state roads. Heck remember speed limit was once "Reasonable and Proper" & crossing the state was a high speed experience since was little in the middle besides Okeechobee and Sebring.

Yes, that counts!!!!  I'd love to go on that type of drive right about now.  Heck, I did way more than that in 2011 when I did my "Coast-to-Coast" road trip, going from IL to PA, back to IL, then out to Oregon via Texas & Utah (etc.).

On July 17, 2016 at 11:31 PM, cahartley said:

I got my drivers license and first car in 1967........I've never been able to get used to the 55 MPH thing........ :wacko: ......and never will.

LOL!  Seems you are not alone in that, judging from how fast some people drive.... ;)

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic (needs new owner)
"Sometimes you just get a feeling like you need some kind of change" __ David Pomeranz __ 'Nothing's Gonna Stop Me Now (Perfect Strangers)'

• Like 1

Very, very little matches the quiet delights of finding out what's around the curve ahead or over the next rise---almost always new, lovely, fascinating, always difficult to know time's run out, time to go back, even if you can find a loop so you don't have to retrace. Luckily, wife also similarly affected. It's been indescribable!!

• Like 2

I preferred two wheel exploring on a variety of motorcycles, mostly smaller displacement like 250 cc in the early days and then 750cc later. Finding out what was around the next bend was a life long passion.  I always enjoyed the mid size bikes as they made you work a little more to get the most performance from them and fuel costs were never an issue.  I sure miss those days!

Terry

• Like 1

Long before I could even reach the pedals I used to enjoy the frequent "lets go for a car ride" evenings and weekends with my folks.  Even at that young age, I carried a little book and kept track of all the derelict antique cars we passed by. Lots of As and Ts, even some odd ball stuff and yes, there were even some brass age cars parked beside sheds and peeking out of barns.  Somewhere I've even got an old photo album with pics of some cars I spotted and photo'd in Maryland back in the early 70s.  But, it was those car rides that I always enjoyed.  It's still so much fun to get in and just go somewhere, anywhere, nowhere in particular.  Will be doing that in a week in Richmond on the AACA Divisional Tour, although I'm sure it'll be a little better organized than just the random country-side jaunt I described.  Taking the 48MGTC so we can do some top down.  We do as much as we can, even had a traditional mid winter "three Ts run" with some friends and their MGTCs.  We have expanded it and now can get 4 or 5 of them.  Just a last minute, clear day on a weekend going no place particular except a restaurant at the end kind of ramble through the country.   Just plain old driving will always be a thrill, even if we have to endure some traffic to get there.

Terry

• Like 1

My grandpa (Dad's Dad) was a "rider".

As a young child I spent a lot of time with him and Grandma.

On many weekends I never knew where we would wind up.

I can remember, as if it was yesterday, on one of our journeys Grandpa got on a back road, put me on his lap behind the wheel and let me steer....... :wub:

Sadly he died when I was 10 years old but I have many very fond memories of rides to places I'd never been and old fashioned picnic lunches complete with cold fried chicken in a wicker basket....... :)

• Like 1