This followed my wife home today.

Caballero2

Congrats! I loved mine. Sadly, after I sold it with 68,000 miles, the new owner said something loosed in the plenum and got ingested. He had to replace the motor!

Wish I had more detail. There was no supercharger so maybe its not an issue on yours. B)

I'll look in to it.

Just watch the plastic intake manifold. They have failed and a flood of coolant can choke the motor. I believe this is what happened to my car after I sold it.

Heres a link:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/diagnose_buick_3800_engine.htm

It was a very comfortable ride! My dash and steering wheel was all blue with real wood inserts. Gorgeous.

Hard to find interiors with color matching the dash now.

4 hours ago, PWB said:

Just watch the plastic intake manifold. They have failed and a flood of coolant can choke the motor. I believe this is what happened to my car after I sold it.

Heres a link:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/diagnose_buick_3800_engine.htm

It was a very comfortable ride! My dash and steering wheel was all blue with real wood inserts. Gorgeous.

Hard to find interiors with color matching the dash now.

Thanks for the heads up on the intake manifold.  Also the dash is a deep red lavender.

003.JPG

• Like 2

VERY NICE!!!

My '95 is at 61K right now, but it has a few gremlins I am trying to work out.

I have a '99 that is at 273K, engine still going strong but has some HVAC issues so I'm not driving it much at this time.

Dash kit looks great! It looks like one of the Sherwood kits with the one piece across the dash panel, that was what I put in my '95, just thought it made for a cleaner look. '95 is the only year for the dash like that because of the recessed control, all other years those controls were not recessed, that is one of the ways to tell it is a '95.

Hey Rivman - what AC issues do you have?

I remember the ducting control modules had an I.C. chip that failed. Theres several modules and all were interchangeable.

I repaired a couple. Its a cheap Motorala chip you can replace. I paid a buck for

the chip. The modules back in the day were almost $200?

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 7:12 PM, PWB said:

Hey Rivman - what AC issues do you have?

I remember the ducting control modules had an I.C. chip that failed. Theres several modules and all were interchangeable.

I repaired a couple. Its a cheap Motorala chip you can replace. I paid a buck for

the chip. The modules back in the day were almost $200?

Thanks for the suggestion Paul, I have had a few of the actuators apart and repaired them too.

There are five of them, three on the drivers side, and two on the passenger side. Actually they are not "all" interchangeable, the three on the drivers side will interchange, and the two on the passenger side will interchange, but they will not work on opposite sides.

I have found anything from a stuck motor to cracked gears, but the chip is a good lead too. My problem isn't knowing what to look for as much as the time to do it, I'll get to it one of these days.

Thanks for the info though,

Sorry, I meant the guts were interchangeable?

If/when you open the removed box, you can inspect the IC (chips) for obvious wear. Continuity (meter) check all ic legs to board for shorts and do a visual inspection.

Here is a visual cue:

blownchip.jpg

Edited by PWB
typos (see edit history)

Guest David G

Congrats, that is one SWEET Riv!  I miss my 98 every time I climb into the Acadia or Civic...   Handed the Riv over to my daughter a couple years ago as her first car, as I wanted her in a larger safer vehicle.  I had driven it for about 7 years, and last fall there were just too many things falling apart to invest in the car anymore, so I sold it to a local mechanic.  He test drove it first, and really tromped on it going down the street.  SOLD.   Next day he texts me whining that now it has rod knock.   Not sure why he thought it was my problem anymore!  

That was by far the most comfortable car I've ever owned, and I do still miss it.  If I came across a local 98/99 in great shape it would be hard to pass it by, if price was good.  Strangely, I have not seen a single 95-99 on the street since moving to Gilbert AZ 5 weeks ago.  But Gilbert is a young demographic... don't see a lot of Buicks in general.