SHED - Aussie style

Have been wanting to build a new " old looking " shed for awhile so I can put a few of my treasures together. Primarily it was to gain easy access to my cars and free up the workshop for projects.

A couple of years ago I dismantled a very large shed which had been constructed from pre war demolition material including nicely aged corrugated iron and trusses made from BHP heavy steel angle.

It has been up for awhile and I have slowly been doing the fit-out. The shed is around 40 foot wide by 26 foot deep. I put new iron on the roof but the rest is basically recycled material apart from the concrete raft floor.

shed2 001.JPG

New Shed 012.JPG

New Shed 014.JPG

New Shed 010.JPG

New Shed 009.JPG

New Shed 006.JPG

New Shed 001.JPG

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Now tha's what I'm TALKIN about Stuart, THANKS for sharing. Love the corrugated metal and other salvaged materials. What is the knee wall built of, looks like big square concrete blocks from where I'm sitting, did you lay them? As others have said, nice treasures and wall hangings too. I see several I would love to have and gotta wonder how you Aussies always manage to score such. The couple of what appear to be BUICK signs for instance.  And then there's MM, GOT to make room for MM. I've collected MM since before Rita. 

Here's hoping this is just the first installment, would love to see some of the 'bilia broke down into groups and close up pictures of it, for instance the wall of old photos. and wha's behind those cooler doors. and what's on draft?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Now tha's what I'm TALKIN about Stuart, THANKS for sharing. Love the corrugated metal and other salvaged materials. What is the knee wall built of, looks like big square concrete blocks from where I'm sitting, did you lay them? As others have said, nice treasures and wall hangings too. I see several I would love to have and gotta wonder how you Aussies always manage to score such. The couple of what appear to be BUICK signs for instance.  And then there's MM, GOT to make room for MM. I've collected MM since before Rita. 

Here's hoping this is just the first installment, would love to see some of the 'bilia broke down into groups and close up pictures of it, for instance the wall of old photos. and wha's behind those cooler doors. and what's on draft?

Thanks Lamar.

The knee wall is constructed from limestone blocks. We have an abundance of limestone on our coastal plains and it gets used a lot for retaining walls. Some mates and I built  the side wall but the blocks on the back wall are larger and you need a Bobcat to drop them in place to build the wall.

The Buick signs are local and the same as those manufactured in the USA. Buick was an extremely popular make in Australia up until Holden started building complete cars in 1948.

I will take some close ups in future - mostly stuff from my career as a cop and of West Australian Police Harleys.

What's on draft - only packaged beer as yet - some Emu Bitter, Pure Blonde and even a carton of good old Coors, my preferred beer while travelling the US.

If you expand the photo of the fridge ( cooler ) doors you will see the Pure Blonde advertising - it may meet with approval! 

12 hours ago, old-tank said:

...and the sign:  "EXPECTORATING ON PLATFORM STRICTLY PROHIBITED"  good advice unless you have a mouth full of Vegemite.:D

Did you look that word up in the Dictionary Willie? I don't recall you having a shot at the Vegemite back in 2013 either even though I spread some on fresh bread, with butter specially for you!!

9 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

In picture number 6 is that an oil or beer dispenser?

Larry, that's an oil dispenser out of an old garage. They had 44 gallon drums of different grade oil stored and piped through the taps. The Apprentice had to fill up the glass Quart and Pint bottles and put them in the racks out front.

28 minutes ago, First Born said:

Well, are you going to enlighten us??  :P

Ben 

Ben - Elders GM or Elder Smith and Goldbough Mort as they were originally were a nation wide Stock and Station Agent. They supplied everything a pastoralist or farmer needed and funded you till the next crop or sale of livestock. They were in competition with another Stock and Station Agent called Dalgety & Co who happened to be the Buick agents in Western Australia back in the early 20's.

My first job after school was working with Elders in their Stock Department which consisted of working livestock in Auctions - unloading, loading, penning up, auctioning and being a general dogs body. Great outdoor lifestyle but the money was terrible. 

• Like 2