cooling system rust

billbuickgs

My 55 buick sat for some years and has heavy rust build up in the cooling

system. I had to change a freeze plug in the block and notice the very heavy rust .

Any ideas on removing the rust without boiling the block ?????

I have the water pump and water  manifold ( thermo housing ) off.

Bill

Edited by billbuickgs (see edit history)

…. Well some swear by putting a cut piece of nylon or pantyhose between the radiator and upper return hose after the clean out process for a while to collect the inevitable debris that will continue to come loose long after the cleaning.  They also make a stainless mesh for the same purpose.  With that said, here's a read on the topic of cleaning your engine block.  In your case, I would first remove all the soft plugs, dig out the crap and then clean as best you can by sticking a hose deep, far and as many places as you can, them consider applying the method of this write-up both before and after you install the new soft plugs.  In this discussion the soft plugs had already been removed , block cleaned out and new soft plugs had been installed, then it sat for a long time until this cleaning method :   

I'm one of those who swears by pantyhose.  The stocking is finer mesh than the Gano filter, and is great for catching "sludge" or aluminum corrosion byproducts that a Gano will not.  Everything you catch would otherwise be building up in your radiator core. 

Actually, the knee-high stockings that women wear with slacks (10 pair for $6 at Walgreens) are heavier gauge and last longer.

Remove top radiator hose and insert toe using a blunt object like screwdriver handle; fold selvage over the outside of the upper radiator neck, so that crud in the water passes thru the stocking.  Do this BEFORE running a chemical flushing agent. After flushing, use a new stocking.

After 300 miles or so, drain a gallon or so of coolant and save for reinstallation. Note how much debris has been captured, and use Kentucky windage to schedule your next filter cleaning.  Rinse stocking out under a hose and reinstall, then put back the coolant you drained off.

In 500 miles you'll be a believer.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2016 at 5:13 PM, First Born said:

Not as long as they are in the intended position!

Ben

All of the sudden, I'm feeling some cooling system problems comin' on! Whew!