My car has been sitting for a while, please read

Guest paulrhyan

Guest paulrhyan

I have a ’62 Ford Galaxie four door that has been sitting for 10+ years.  It also has the optional 390 Thunderbird engine.  Recently I have decided to sell it.

Background: I bought the car about 13 or 14 years ago.  When I bought it, it was in very good condition.  The best way to describe the condition is that it would turn heads.  I could probably drive it in a parade or during ‘cruise night’ but it was not show quality.   I drove it during the summers but parked it in the garage during the winter.  Then the price of gas near me reached 4.50/gal one summer and I just never un-parked the car.  Currently it is in the garage and has been for over 10 years.

I originally paid $3,800 for the car.  With the current market and condition of the car I doubt I could get that.  What I would really like is knowledge.  What kind of things would have to be addressed with a car that has been sitting for this long?  Here is the list I have so far:

Tires

Full brake system replacement… pads, shoes, wheel cylinders, brake lines, master cylinder (am I forgetting anything?)

Remove/replace fuel tank

Replace any rubber hoses… radiator, vacuum, fuel and others

Please add anything else that is important for a vehicle in this situation.

Last year my brother-in-law got the vehicle running by feeding fresh fuel to the carb and turning it over.  He said that it actually ran pretty well given the circumstances.

My current plan is to: 1) Sell the vehicle ‘as is’ and ask for a fair asking price based on the work that needs to be done or 2) Have it repaired and get as much as I can out of the sale.  In order to make a decision I need to know if there are other important things that will need to be addressed.  From there I’ll do some checking to see what kind of repair prices I’m looking at.

To summarize: What else should I look at regarding a vehicle that has been sitting for over 10 years?

Thanks,

eyekneadspam@gmail. c o m

Edited by paulrhyan (see edit history)

In the price range you are expecting I would only do the fuel system to get it running when you turn the key (and the rubber fuel lines so it doesn't go up in smoke). The other items will not raise your sell price enough to make it worthwhile in my opinion. If it doesn't run on its own your sale price plunges significantly.

Just my opinion - others will be along to help.

I think you should get it running, but stop there. The others are right, that's money you won't get back with a sale and anyone fixing up a car in that condition will expect to do those things as a matter of course. But buying a non-running car will scare people away, so cleaning up the fuel system and making it run on its own will make it easier to sell, if not more valuable. A buyer will want to know the engine's health, and having it running will go a long way to dispelling that fear.

Get it running by simply filling the carb float bowls with gas. I wouldn't waste my time dropping the tank or changing fuel lines.  As noted, you won't recoup the time and money. Frankly most buyers of cars in that price range and class would rather have a lower price and do those repairs themselves.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, vermontboy said:

In the price range you are expecting I would only do the fuel system to get it running when you turn the key (and the rubber fuel lines so it doesn't go up in smoke). The other items will not raise your sell price enough to make it worthwhile in my opinion. If it doesn't run on its own your sale price plunges significantly.

Just my opinion - others will be along to help.

I agree and I would spend some time to clean it up so it shines as close to having come off the showroom as possible. 

The best items to sell a car is to have a spotless car that runs.

Is there a nephew, niece, grandchild, or neighbor who always drooled over the car? Give it to them and don't hold any hard feelings if it goes down hill from there. They will love it. My Grandmother gave me two old cars when I was a kid and an Aunt gave me another. I took them apart and never got them back together, but it was all part of my life's experience. As an adult, I have probably given away more cars than many people have owned. I never felt like I lost anything.

Don't overlook an existing dreamer as the new owner.

Bernie

• Like 1