Leaky Wheels?

Dan O

I've put new Coker American Classic radials on my 1949 76c after having the original wheels sandblasted and completely painted.  Two of them leak 1/3 of their air over two weeks and the others are fine.  The wheels have rivets holding them together.  I think I have read here that the wheels will leak since they were made to be used with tubes, right?

If there is not a leak in the tires themselves, I'm considering getting some Flex Seal liquid rubber sealant and coating the inside of the wheels.  Anyone tried that or found other solutions?

I've put new Coker American Classic radials on my 1949 76c after having the original wheels sandblasted and completely painted.  Two of them leak 1/3 of their air over two weeks and the others are fine.  The wheels have rivets holding them together.  I think I have read here that the wheels will leak since they were made to be used with tubes, right?

If there is not a leak in the tires themselves, I'm considering getting some Flex Seal liquid rubber sealant and coating the inside of the wheels.  Anyone tried that or found other solutions?

I like your idea, steel wheels with rivets aren't the only wheels that leak, alloys will too. Tire slime works, tire shops hate it and if this stuff works post a u-tube how to and you could become a tire shop wheel hero.  

Have you tested the rims? Some soapy water on the rivits with the tires fully inflated may show if they are the culprit, or the valve stems, or the tire beads.

Yes, gotta find the source of the leak first!  It may even be a safety issue like a crack in the rim at the bead area.

If the wheels are sound.......a coat of silicone sealant is probably the clean, easy, and cheapest fix.  (on the inside) 

As a side note and it might work here......I recently had a small screw in my pick-up tire, just enough to leak a few # per day.

I experimented by pulling a vacuum on the mounted tire and letting that vacuum pull some liquid tire sealant into the screw hole.

I removed the vacuum and let the tire site for a few hours before re-inflating.   That has been several week and I have no air leak.

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)