B F Goodrich Granite Coloured Sidewalls .

Mark Gregory

There is an extensive article in the April 2016 issue of Hemmings Classic Car that covers this topic.  They apparently had them in red, blue, sandstone and granite, among others, with a mottled effect for some of the colors.  They were called the Color-Weld line of tires.

Thanks Taylormade I will look for the April issue . I am surprised they had this technology back then . We cannot make a after market white wall tire now without it turning yellow . Thanks again for the exact information .

It's in the April 2016 copy of Hemmings Classic Car.  This is not Hemmings with the ads,, but their slick cover specialty magazine with the large Classic Car logo on the front.  The article is on page 54 and is called "Walls Of Color."

Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)

I saw that magazine on the news stand and I bet it's an April Fools joke. Never heard of colored sidewall tires at that time. There were red, white, blue, black and gray tires around 1915 and blue streak and red stripe tires around 1968 but never heard of anything but blackwalls and whitewalls in the thirties.

Rusty OToole it is not an April Fools joke, I wrote the article and did extensive research using B.F. Goodrich factory issued publications, perhaps you should  look beyond the cover headlines . Just because you never heard of it before doesn't mean it didn't exist. Hemmings Classic Car wouldn't devote 6 pages to an April Fools joke ! Thanks to all who took the article seriously and looked beyond the cover title.

Guest bkazmer

I had heard of the colored tires before the article. They were not commercially successful, obviously, but are real.

Uncolored SBR rubber is off-white.  Most common mineral fillers are white, plus the boundary scattering of having a filler.  Carbon black proved to be an advantageous filler, so we are used to tires being black.

The article on different color side walls is a very interesting piece of automotive history. I had seen articles of color side walls that the tire companies tried to push in mid-fifties, even saw a couple for sale. They were color coordinated to match the cars and came in the following colors, turquoise, maroon, blue and red. Everyone knows Red Line , Blue Streak , Gold Line, tires,  used on different makes in the Sixties. The color side walls never caught on in the early Thirties or the Mid-Fifties, however, it is a very interesting little known fact that makes this hobby fun. Great article.