DL Questions

Taylormade

I have a couple of questions about my 1932 Dodge DL.  It's always had modern hose clamps (if 1965 era clamps can be thought of as modern) but I assume it originally came with wire clamps.  Anyone know what the original hose clamps looked like?

I also had a remote oil cleaner mounted on the firewall.  In the owner's manual there is a picture of the driver's side of the motor that shows a canister style oil filter quite high on the side of the engine just past the distributor.  It shows a canister that has a fitting at the very bottom and one on the top.  The way the fittings are set up, I have to believe that this was a throw-away unit that was never intended to be opened.  Anyone know what was originally used and how it was mounted?

I asked this once before a while ago, but were the radiator hoses black or red?  I have heard that the red hoses are prone to dirt staining and early failure.  Any opinions, as I like the look of the red hoses, but this car will be driven and I don't need self-imposed problems.

Was the firewall mounted semi-oval Dodge name plate black or red?  Mine was painted over.  I think they were black during this period.

The hood lace is held to the radiator shell with split rivets, but I discovered that the lacing on the cowl is attached with short nails with a bulge in the center of the shaft for a force fit in the holes in the cowl.  The holes are a bit less than a 1/8 of an inch.  I can't seem to find anything similar that would work.  I can see why they went with these nails/tacks as it's impossible to get under the cowl to install the split rivets.  Anyone have a source?  Couldn't find anything from Restoration Specialties.

Thanks for any and all input.

RT

I believe the plate was black, not red. My 1931 had a red hose on the radiator when I took it apart when I was a kid. 1932 may have changed to black....not sure. I think the cowl lacing had a screw type rivet. Shallow semi-round head with a screw shaft that was meant to work like a self-tapping type of screw. I will see if I can find the package of new ones that I have.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Restoration Specialties does have the regular cowl lacing nails with a flatter head and a spirol shank used by some WPC vehicles . Some later nails have slotted heads similar to slotted screws but not as deep. The kind of nails that you speak of, I believe, are no longer available. The rivets pictured above are drive rivets and are not correct for cowl lacing; they are usually used for data plate application and the like.Chances are, that when the old nails were removed the holes became enlarged somewhat.I would ask RS for samples of the hood lace nails and they may have some of the old style left, as their catalog does not include everything they have.

Restoration Specialties does have the regular cowl lacing nails with a flatter head and a spirol shank used by some WPC vehicles . Some later nails have slotted heads similar to slotted screws but not as deep. The kind of nails that you speak of, I believe, are no longer available. The rivets pictured above are drive rivets and are not correct for cowl lacing; they are usually used for data plate application and the like.Chances are, that when the old nails were removed the holes became enlarged somewhat.I would ask RS for samples of the hood lace nails and they may have some of the old style left, as their catalog does not include everything they have.

That is why I said, "similar".

Red hoses are very easy to get dirty. You must have clean hands to work on them. Thus your tools must be clean, as well as the hose clips and anything else you get near or touch while working on those hoses. This is experience talking... The Dodge 8 also had a red fan belt.

Dodge 8 hose clamps are wire with a round slotted head screw. Restoration Specialties have something very close, although they are zinc plated and the screws are stainless. Mine came with the wrong screws even tho' I ordered the right ones. I think the originals were Parkerised.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...