1939 248 engine rocker arm assembly question

39BuickEight

Hello everyone, we took the valve cover off my extra engine today just to see what it looked like, and we found it has this long bar-type part (oil deflector?) bolted along the top. My original engine that I had rebuilt did not have this. Should it? It would be easy to stick on my engine, but I really don't want to mess with this one since it ran so good. Eventually I will offer this one for sale. Thanks!

7F54717C-C412-4284-99F4-28C00D0AAAB8.png

3448CFB9-846A-4ED7-9F94-01BBE8A4C161.png

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)

I have never seen one of those before. Obviously a commercial part and not just something someone just ginned up.

Perhaps aftermarket to keep excessive oil from getting to the valve guides and increasing oil burning.

It will be interesting to hear what other have to say.

Guys:  That is a factory baffle added starting with 1942 production according to the 1942 Parts and Service Bulletins.  The reason is exactly as Don stated regarding oil burning.  Bulletin states it is to  "prevent excess oil spraying from the rocker arm ball studs onto the valve stems from where it can be pulled down the stem and be lost.  This baffle will prevent the consumption of oil at this point under high speed driving conditions in excess of that required to lubricate, effectively, the valve and guide assemblies".

That's all that was stated. No recall campaign or anything said about retrofitting existing engines.  I suppose you could bolt it on to your rebuilt engine rocker assembly to see if it fits.  Thanks for the pictures.

My 37 Special had a thick piece of felt the same dimensions as the inside of the valve cover just laid down on top of the rocker assembly. Of course it was saturated with oil so I removed it. When I started the engine with it gone it was MUCH noisier. Maybe an old time used car lot trick?

• Like 1

Guys:  That is a factory baffle added starting with 1942 production according to the 1942 Parts and Service Bulletins.  The reason is exactly as Don stated regarding oil burning.  Bulletin states it is to  "prevent excess oil spraying from the rocker arm ball studs onto the valve stems from where it can be pulled down the stem and be lost.  This baffle will prevent the consumption of oil at this point under high speed driving conditions in excess of that required to lubricate, effectively, the valve and guide assemblies".

That's all that was stated. No recall campaign or anything said about retrofitting existing engines.  I suppose you could bolt it on to your rebuilt engine rocker assembly to see if it fits.  Thanks for the pictures.

Thanks for the info!

The engine number that the part is installed on is 43749517, which I am 99% certain is a 1939 engine.

Would a possible scenario be that the owner had oil burning issues say, in 1942, with this car, and took it in for service, when this was installed? That seems more likely than it being done recently-as in the past 20-30 years. I can't imagine a current or recently current mechanic would have been looking to install this on a car that isn't driven much at all.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)

First time I have seen this or even read about it.

Does the head have a stud at number 8 exhaust manifold? The very last stud by the firewall

Only '39's do not  have that last stud at number 8