PWD AFTER TOUR - Allentown July 30-August 2, 2016

jscheib

Larry DiBarry and I are formulation plans for this fun and exciting time. A message has been sent by Jim Forshey. For any of you on the forum, but never did get registered in the PWD (there is no charge for  PWD), please let Larry or myself know and we can get you a copy of the first communication on this subject and add you to our e-mailing list.  Between now and June, I expect to communicate, at least monthly, on the status of the group tour.  This is a three day hub tour from Allentown, one day to Reading, 2nd day to Doylestown and Delaware River and third day to "Coal Region"

Larry Di Barry at dibarjo@hotmail.com or John Scheib at j.scheib@comcast.net

John 

PS: Anyone can join our tour if you like a slower pace, shorter distance tour.  Please let me know so we can add you to our mailing list.

John

Edited by jscheib (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For those interested, Day 1 will include a brief stop in Kutztown, and continue to Reading, and a challenge drive on the road used by Charles Duryea to test his cars, with a stop at the famous Reading Pagoda, than to the Boyertown Car Museum and return to Allentown, with coffee, lunch, and an ice cream stop along the way, with ample bathroom breaks. 

Information on subsequent days will follow.  Check this thread for more information.

John

• 3 weeks later...

Charlie,

I will include you in our planning, and I would expect to find you a ride. Also, you are welcome to take your own car as we do not restrict the tour to pre-war cars and on August 1, you may want AC.  We are not yet certain, but we have you on our list and we be in contact by e-mail, son.

John

• 3 months later...
Guest Chrysler Guy

John, if you hang around the Allentown area for another couple of days, you could visit Das Awkscht Fescht in Macungie, August 5th-7th.

I HOPE WE CAN GET EVERYONES ATTENTION, AND THAT IS WHY I STARTEDTHIS WITH BOLD CAPS

Planning is complete and we continue to plan for the first day, Sundays departure at 9:30 AM, from the Wingate, our hotel of choice as it seems a good pushing off and returning point.  I indicated above what we will be during, with one addition.  We found a place offering a traditional PA DUTCH sit down family style all you can eat restaurant called the Deitsch Eck (translation Dutch  {or more correctly German} Corner.  We will collect Money (25.00 for adults, 12.50, for 5-12) for this during the day, so I can fixed the number of attendees by noon.  It is not required that you take this meal if you are traveling with us.  We will eat rather well that day as we will stop for a noon brunch taking individual items from the menu, as well as an ice cream stop. We plan to move quickly to accommodate all this activity.  Of course much is subject to change depending on weather.  I almost forgot to mention a car museum, with many interest and unique vehicles.

Tuesday is a bit more distance driving, but much of the trip will be under tree canopies.  And another museum (both museums have small fees.  Lunch will be in a group, and supper is on your own.

Wednesday will be a short drive just northwest of Allentown, featuring an area or real PA Germans surviving in close proximity to the industrialized ABE area.

This is another and last request (but look for our on site Allentown display) on this site to join us for this  fun-filled event, especially as we try to get Dandy Dave (but there will be some farm equipment to see) under control for three days.. It is nice that we have at least one new BOD member traveling with us and actually a co-organizer. 

PLEASE JOIN US

Larry and John

I heard that through the grapevine that neither of the two of you that organized this are going to tour with us? If that is the case, Just wondering who is going to be our Leader? My car likes to run around 30 to 35 Miles per hour and that is it. It is 101 years old and I don't like to push it over where the harmonic's are comfortable. And also, with only rear wheel brakes it does not stop like a car even 8 to 10 years newer. My navigator is no good with directions so I have to drive and look at the directions myself as they are usually handed out just before we leave. I don't have one of them fancy phones that tells you where to go either and I have no plans of getting one as my old eyes can't see the little letters on the screen anyway.    

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 6:55 AM, Dandy Dave said:

I don't have one of them fancy phones that tells you where to go either

Good thing Dave.  I have a hunch you may not like where it would tell you to go anyhoo!   :D

LOL.. Yup. And the $2 Bill I got in Hell Michigan burned in a wreck so I have no proof that I was there. Tried one of them fancy road direction thingamajigs one time and it kept trying to send me the wrong way. Good thing I knew where I was going. Dandy Dave!  

Sorry to say that our Pre-War After Tour tour has been canceled. As of this morning John and I had only 2 other couples who wished to attend. That made 8 people and possibly 4 cars. Last week we had about 20 participants. Most of these had decided not to attend the celebration because of extra expense and travel complications. We thought it would have been a great trip. Possibly at a later date in the fall we can run the routes as a group.

Best to all:

Larry

Edited by dibarlaw
Added content (see edit history)

I would like to clarify that Larry and I had to cancel the event at noon on July 30th for lack of interest on the part of PWD members, and others with more recent cars, as there was no commitment.  Larry and I had to spend several hours each cancelling arrangements with locals for museums and meals, some at discounted rates, when we could have been enjoying the cars.  Thank goodness we incurred no financial losses.

I  think the main factor was that there were just too much "action" at and off site, the weather, both heat and rain, and individuals who never did make the show.   I would encourage that whoever makes the commitment to organize the PWD after tour in WI to limit the tour to one or two days.

One advantage that area has is limited rolling hills, unlike some steep grades in PA, which makes travel and location selection a bit easier. Within a few weeks Larry and I expect to have some comments about the future of the PWD.

To Dandy Dave and others, I am sorry for your disappointment.  Subject to your request, we can provide you with details of the planned activity for individual trips, except for some Tuesday details which we were keeping somewhat  as a surprise (and Dave, it included a distillery which makes Applejack and a few other products all from local farms)  and especially for you some old farm machinery and a road grader. 

The Free Spirt Chapter is planning on a Regional Meet in 2018 and we might include part of this. 

And for Dave and others in  the Northeast, Upstate NY is planning a Regional in fall of 2017 and we are anxious to get a tour leader for route planning for this adventure.    

John Scheib

j.scheib@comcast.net 

• MrEarl unpinned this topic