Spare Wheel Carrier - Disc Wheel 1925 Dodge

Aussie Dodge

Hi Guys, Can anybody help. I have a 1925 Dodge with an Australian built tourer body. The car has 20 inch disc wheels. I was preparing the spare carrier to paint and to my surprise when I carried out a trial fit I found the top mounting bracket is approximatley 100mm ( 4 Inches ) below the mounting hole in the back tub, the lower mounting brackets line up and bolt together perfectly. The spare wheel carrier came with the car, but was not installed. Photos attached. Could anybody please advise what the top mounting bracket should look like to suit a timber frame tourer body, also any overall measurements of the top bracket and in particular the distance from the top of the body to the centre of the mounting hole in the tub, also any photos would be greatly appreciated.

PS Could somebody please advise, if the spare wheel carrier is correctly installed dose the spare wheel align vertically, or does it lean in towards the back tub, any measurement apost-103933-0-94552800-1452400123_thumb.post-103933-0-15352700-1452400233_thumb.nd photos appreciated..

Aussie Dodge.

That does seem strange AD.  It almost sounds as if you need a bracket to fit a U.S. bodied car where the hole is well above the top edge of the wheel carrier disc.  I can get a measurement of this distance if you like.  Could there have been a patch repair done at some point where the hole location was moved?

post-116307-0-06508300-1452438293_thumb.

Hello Aussie Dodge.  I have an Australian bodied DB like yours.  It seems to me that there is a part of your spare wheel carrier missing. 

A  top mounting bracket should be riveted to the disc and if you look carefully at yours you can see where the rivets were.  Either side of the non original part.  

I think you need to find another carrier. 

The spare wheel should appear vertical.

Hope this helps.

Ray.

Thank you for your reply Mike C5. The mounting hole in my rear tub is well above the top edge of the wheel carrier siimilar to your car and appears to be in the right place with no visiable signs of repair, also there is a metal bracket immediatley behind the mounting hole which is attached to the wooden frame. This bracket is threaded so that the top support arm of the carrier can be screwed in. It is a little hard to see from my photos, but the top support arm of my carrier has a flange at the end and the last inch and 1/4 is threaded. The mounting hole in my tub is 9 inches from the top of the tub. I would appreciate if you could measure the distance from the top of the tub to the centre of the mounting hole for the spare wheel carrier on your vehicle, as this will give my a guide where the problem layes. The problem with my spare wheel carrier is that the top support arm is too low and would be too short if it bent upwrads to match the height of the mouting hole in the tub.

Regards Aussie Dodge

Thank you for your suggestion Ray. The top support arm of my spare wheel carrier is rivited to the carrier disc as you suggested and the round bar section which attaches to the vehicle has a flange at the end where the last inch and 1/4 is threaded. This support arm appears to orginal with no signs of it being altered. I have been told that it is very difficult to find spare wheel carriers and I was hoping that if the problem is only with the top carrier mounting arm, then I would be prepared to have a new support arm made if I could obtain the dimensions and possibly some photos of the correct top mounting bracket.The problem with my spare wheel carrier is that the top support arm is too low and would be too short if it bent upwrads to match the height of the mouting hole in the tub. If your car has a similar spare wheel mounting system, I would greatly apprecate a couple of photos, if possible.

Regards Aussie Dodge.

That may be for a roadster as the arm would need to project in lower to allow for the decklid.  My wooden wheel carrier is designed like yours.  I may have what you need like Mikes and I might be interested in yours for my roadster.  Let me check what I have.  Jay

Hi JayG Thank you for your suggestion, yes I would be open to a swap for the correct carrier. It now appears some how I have the wrong carrier to suit my car. Thank you for the photos, they are a great help. I am a little puzzled by the top bracket in the photo, it appears that it is designed to bolt flat onto the tub surface which has some sort of support behind the tub. With my car I can't see how this would work as it has a wooden frame behind the tub, there is no reinforcing support iron work as per the all metal Budd built bodies. My car has a small cast iron support bracket behind the mounting hole in the tub which is screwed with wood screws into the timber frame. This support bracket has threaded hole of approximately 3/4 inch diameter, which appears to be designed for the top support arm of the carrier to be screwed into.

Regards Aussie Dodge

I'm not familiar with the touring bodies especially the Australian ones so someone else will have to determine if the carrier will fit your car.  I can supply measurements if needed.  If you determine that it will fit let me know and we can discuss a swap.  Jay

• 3 years later...
On 1/12/2016 at 5:38 PM, Aussie Dodge said:

Hi JayG Thank you for your suggestion, yes I would be open to a swap for the correct carrier. It now appears some how I have the wrong carrier to suit my car. Thank you for the photos, they are a great help. I am a little puzzled by the top bracket in the photo, it appears that it is designed to bolt flat onto the tub surface which has some sort of support behind the tub. With my car I can't see how this would work as it has a wooden frame behind the tub, there is no reinforcing support iron work as per the all metal Budd built bodies. My car has a small cast iron support bracket behind the mounting hole in the tub which is screwed with wood screws into the timber frame. This support bracket has threaded hole of approximately 3/4 inch diameter, which appears to be designed for the top support arm of the carrier to be screwed into.

Regards Aussie Dodge

I have a bracket and 5 x 21” wheels and new tyres. I replaced mine with spoke wheels. I’ll take a photo of it today with some measurements. 

Here’s some pics and measurements. 

I seem to be having issues uploading the pictures. 

Across the base mounts it measures 405mm to the outside. From the base diagonally across to the top mount is

Approximately 480mm to hole centres. 

I’ll  try reload the pics if not pm me and I’ll email them to you. Not sure where you are but I’m in Melbourne. 

822CB19A-A6FC-468F-8975-2604D5B6B801.jpeg

C34B49B3-967B-47D5-B8A0-5FCC603CC242.jpeg

B5BE5A2D-433A-4E37-8AC1-52E62D926376.jpeg

• 2 years later...