Help have a Brush thought it was 1904 but no way

Guest jpcrane

Guest jpcrane

How do I tell what year it is.

Been in family for 60 years and time to let it go, but now I know its not a 1904

Wheel base 87 inches if i remember

I am not a Brush expert, but have looked at a few of them. Cannot tell a lot from the photos, but it appears to maybe be a 1912 Liberty model Brush. The motor looks to be the later iron crankcase version.

The Brush automobile was a victim of Benjamin Briscoe's wheeling and dealings. Forced liquidation put the profitable subsidiary out of business. There were several variations of the last models using outdated fenders, no running boards, and several different radiators (some were brass, some steel and painted), to finish off uncompleted cars. They were likely doomed anyway, as Ford's price for the model T was dropping fast, and the Brush was an archaic design by 1910. The Liberty models look more like cars from about 1907. They are fairly popular with the one and two cylinder early car crowd. 

Alanson P Brush, himself, was a notable automotive designer, responsible for many patents and innovations from the beginning through the '20s.

A rich history, and nice early cars!

Good luck!

The data plate would have been the best indicator of the year and serial number, but it appears blank. Carefully clean the plate and see if any data appears. My Brush looks very similar to yours, and it is the last model number (F) before the Liberty model started production. As mentioned above the '12 Liberty would have a step plate instead of running boards. Do you have a side view of the auto with fenders attached?

Very nice auto, let me know if I can help in any way.

Thanks