Advice Needed - Stainless Trim Repair Service & Polishing

Dan O

I have some stainless side-trim or molding on my 1949 sedanette rear fenders that is bent up and in need of repair.  One side was squished partially flat in a garage door frame and the other is perfect except it looks like it was smashed over someone's knee (like breaking a stick!) while off the car.  Both probably have 1/6" tears in the metal.  I live in Houston so a place within 3-4 hours of Houston would be preferalble.

Also, has anyone got advice on polishing stainless trim themselves at home?  Is it do-able or best left to the pros?  Eastwood has a lot of supplies but are they what is required to do an A+ job?

I have done the polishing myself at home, nothing to it really, just have to be careful that the wheel does not grab your piece and send it flying or worse

Look at the utube videos on the steps to take, its basically like polishing paint

As for the repairs, I cant help, except to say you might have to ring around to find someone thats willing to not just un flatten a trim, but weld one as well

The composition of the stainless can effect the color of it compared to a welded piece/section, so the repair can sometimes still be visible and this type of repair work can be very expensive

Again, watch some utube movies on stainless trim repairs and think of how much labor time will be involved in fixing the trims (Its frightening)

Little dings are not that hard, but re construction is

Good luck

Mick