Dynaflow and the 1950 Series 40 Buick Special

Dynaflash8

Well folks, I sent a letter to the editor of ANTIQUE AUTOMOBILE regarding the Dynaflow story that appeared a couple of issues ago.  I disagreed that the 1950 Series 40 Special had Dynaflow offered.  I WAS WRONG!  I made the assumption based on the fact that the 1950 Series 40 Special, introduced about June, 1950 still had the 248cid engine, while the 1950 Super was stepped up to the new 263cid engine.  You know what assumption means, right?  Well, I didn't check my chassis parts book before I shot off my mouth.  I have been roundly beat about the head and shoulders from readers.  So my apology is in order.  What I said about insert connecting rod bearings and rods in the 1950 Series 40 being able to be substituted for the old babbitt bearing rods in the 1937-1949 small block cars (248cid) remains true.  I have no idea why the 248cid engine was continued in the Series 40, but the Series 50 Super got the new 263cid engine in 1950, but it is what it is.  No so-called "expert" knows everything off the top of their head and I'm here to tell you, it always pays to check your sources before opening your mouth or using your pen! 

Earl D. Beauchamp, Jr.

Good going Earl. There's nothing worse than putting words to print, then discovering you're flat out wrong. That sinking feeling in your gut like, "How could I have done that?", that hits you like a ton of bricks. You're absolutely right, that no one knows everything about any given subject, though some would have you believe otherwise. You've probably forgotten more than many of us will ever know.

There are three major elements here. The first is to accept that mistake, correct the misinformation, and move on. The second is to realize that as one studies any subject over time, both scholastically and in the field, one becomes an expert, and that your words and deeds are accepted by others; they're important. The third is to grasp that no matter how hard you try, regardless of how sure you are, it will probably happen again.

Forgive me if I've gone too long with this, but know that in my book, you'll always be a "go-to guy".

If there's a fourth element, it's that with your apology you've shown what separates the men from the boys. 

Thanks, 

TG

• Like 1

Earl,

Don't worry yourself too much about it. I do think that our editor has had to publish a few more corrections than you have. Your reputation is still safe with those of us who know you.

Absolutly. Been in the same position that somethines what you are the most certain about, wasn't. Have also found that even the factory parts books are wrong/parts superceeded. If it is not within a year or two of production, things have probably been redacted.

It shows character to admit mistakes and just makes you more credible.

Thanks folks.  I've owned two 49 Buick Supers, one with and one without DF,  and one 51 Special straight shift, but never a 50 of any kind.  My association with 1950  Buicks has been in selling NOS Buick parts back in the 1970s and learning that rods and insert bearings could be used in my blue car when I rebuilt the engine.  I also learned at that time that the 1941-53 oil pump had 25% larger gears and would provide better oil pressure.

West, as I recall and remember I said recall, the 1934-1939 Series 40 and 1940 Series 40-50 are the same, and if that is true, then yes, the 1941-53 oil pump gears and bottom plate and neck can be used in the 1934-1936 engine, which was NOT a 248 cid engine, but somewhat smaller....I don't remember the cid on the 1934-1936 Series 40 car.  I am in a motel in VA now on my way to a meeting in Hershey.  All of my books are in Florida.  You, better than anyone, should realize why I am not currently making any definite statements or replies with my Master Chassis Parts Book in hand.  I have a 1939 Master at home, in addition to my 1947, 1953 and 1960 books.  As most people know, a Master Parts book covers all parts back to Buicks up to 40 years old that are available at the time of the book being published.  I think the 1939 and 1947 books go back to 1929 and the other two go back to 1940 but actually further if the part for let's say a 1934 also would fit a 1940.  Earl Beauchamp