1966 Buick Riviera AM/FM RADIO

Carbuff2

I need an AM/FM radio for my 1966 Riviera.  Mine makes static when you move the knobs and doesn't play very crisp.

Please advise if you have one for sale that may be cheaper than having this one repaired and having to wait.

Thanks Paul

Contact me with a PM or respond on this post .

You could start by replacing all the old paper wound capacitors with the new plastic style. That and a good set of new speakers might be all you need.

A radio can look intimidating when you first remove the cover but once you identify the parts and trace some of the circuit it's not bad. And you saved one more radidio!

Bernie

You will be further ahead to send yours out and have it repaired. Buying used can be a crap shoot. As much work as it is to R&R the radio, you only want to do it once. 

Some repair shops can ad base and treble sound enhancements as well as an external cord to plug in an iphone, ipod, etc.

Fred's Classic Radios in Lenexa, KS rebuilt my am/fm radio ('64) and re-coned my original speakers for less than I could have purchased another one that may have had the same problems.  Specializes in 1947 - 1977.  He also does quartz clock conversions.

(913) 599-2303

No website.  If you go to what looks like a website for him, you end up at a donation website from somewhere in Omaha. ????

• 4 weeks later...

The standard AM/FM was mono (not stereo) even though there was a front and rear speaker. An AM/FM stereo option was available and that unit came with the stereo adapter mounted underneath the glove box. In 66 the stereo adapter had a lamp that illuminated behind transparent "Stereo" lettering when a stereo station was received. In 67 this lamp was eliminated on the adapter and moved to the radio likely because it was easier for the driver to see.

A little more info while we are discussing 66/67 radios. A standard AM/FM radio can not simply be plugged into a stereo adapter because the AM/FM stereo radio had a special cable hard wired in when the stereo option was installed. In other words a mono AM/FM radio can't be converted to stereo simply by obtaining a stereo adapter.

Shown below is the 66 adapter with stereo illuminated

post-93929-0-45783600-1450401604_thumb.j

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)