Canadians in UK

Vintman

Hi Folks,

After contacting many of our experts, they have given up on this one which they think could be British. To me this has an American feel of cca 1930/32. Photo from UK but enquiry from Canada of Canadians in UK in the late 1930s. Enquirer suggests a possible Austin. Would appreciate any suggestion to follow up! The bulbous bit of bodywork at chassis level behind the wheel must surely be a pointer to somebody, as is the step plate without a runningboard.

Regards

Vintman (UK)

www.svvs.org

post-101031-0-24163600-1447845555_thumb.

Vintman, a great challenge picture, I hope they never stop coming.
At first I wondered why there was no rumble step on the rear fender, but realized that it is rhd and it would be on the other unseen side.  I see no resemblance to any "factory" made USA car of its era..
The cylindrical projection at the rear of the front fender might indicate it had a torsion bar front suspension.  The single step and the high bottom door were no doubt seen as very sporty features in its day.  I'd love to discover this one in a barn somewhere!

I agree with Dave.  I don't think this is a North American produced vehicle, including Commonwealth preference ones from Canada.  The projection behind the front fender is clearance for the drag link (reach rod) and the triangular shaped piece on the engine hood in front of the hood latch is clearance for the pitman arm.  What little can be seen of the gauges could suggest Austin as their instruments were small and placed in front of the driver beginning in the early thirties.  The three sets of louvres on the hood, the cowl mounted electric(?) wiper motor and windshield frame mounted cowl lights are not typical of Austin.

Off topic, but the first British car to have torsion bars was the 1947 Jowett Javelin which had them at all four corners.  The early torsion bar suspension used by Chrysler beginning in 1957 was a direct copy of Jowett's system and was used under licence.

Terry

Thanks Dave and Dictator for your thoughts, and to Casper for his suggestion. I had looked at normal British makes but nothing has come to mind. Tend to agree with NZ about Hornet size but Wolseley Hornet was made in a bigger looking version with bodies by Swallow etc. Very nice cars, but none have the bulbous bodywork under the bonnet. Overall feel of the car is low budget but the coachwork looks nice.Very annoying that something that appears so relatively simple will have to go down as UNIDENTIFIED!!

Regards and Thanks

Vintman (UK)

More re the size of the Wolseley Hornet.  If you do a Google image search for 'Wolseley Hornet Swallow' you will that the wheelbase is short enough that the front of the rear wheel is about level with the back of the front(only!) seat.  Our mystery car has nearly the whole diameter of the wheel as space between the two.

More re the size of the Wolseley Hornet.  If you do a Google image search for 'Wolseley Hornet Swallow' you will that the wheelbase is short enough that the front of the rear wheel is about level with the back of the front(only!) seat.  Our mystery car has nearly the whole diameter of the wheel as space between the two.

The position of the rear of the back seat is relative to where the cowl is placed.  The examples shown on the Google site "Wolseley Hornet Swallow" have the rear seat placed back as far as possible which is made possible by the positioning of the cowl.  Some have longer cowls and/or bonnets.

To me there are too many things which do not indicate a Hornet.  The clearances for the drag link and pitman arm do not show up an any Hornet I have found.  Regardless of the cowl length, the wheelbase is longer.  This car has three groups of five louvres.  From what I've seen, Hornets have three groups of seven.  The body is higher and appears to be wider.  The body reveal moulding is wrong as is the windshield.

'Tis a mystery! :)

Terry