1937 Buick Special

Guest Dwight Moody

Guest Dwight Moody

Bought this from my neighbor last month. Still has the old "Atlas" tires and battery! Looks like it's been off the road a long time. Someone drained the fuel tank and oiled the cylinders so luckily the engine is not stuck. The trans is missing though, and I hope to find a replacement sometime.

I am from Michigan, not too far from where it was built. Never was into cars this old, but there is something about this one that has me hooked!

post-155336-0-12033400-1447280199_thumb.

post-155336-0-78535500-1447280206_thumb.

Guest Dwight Moody

I had to save this one, it almost ended up in the hands of someone that wanted to convert it into a hot rod.. I am not knocking the guys that do that.. They make some beautiful rides. But, this one is staying bone stock original at least while I am the custodian.

Another reason is I also had family that worked at the Flint plant, during the sit down strike that year. Kind of neat thinking that they may have been involved with it's build.

Edited by Dwight Moody (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

I have the transmission and rear end (4.44 ratio) out of my 37 Special if you can't find one closer to home. Gears are good but bearings are starting to make noise but not bad. We go on long trips so used an automatic trans, with adapter, behind straight eight so wife can help drive. It has a baby chick sounding price; you know. cheep cheep cheep.

post-155120-0-96243600-1449966656_thumb.

• Like 2

I have the transmission and rear end (4.44 ratio) out of my 37 Special if you can't find one closer to home. Gears are good but bearings are starting to make noise but not bad. We go on long trips so used an automatic trans, with adapter, behind straight eight so wife can help drive. It has a baby chick sounding price; you know. cheep cheep cheep.

Glad to see you back, Evan.

Ben

• 3 months later...
Guest jmajerowski

I bought this car from Dwight... He found a transmission from somewhere in Ohio, which is where I am and the car currently lives. I am not sure what shape it is in.  I have the car running pretty well after a carb swap. I rebuilt all the wheel cylinders and master cylinder. I am having trouble getting the clutch to engage. I have adjusted the pedal lash as much as I can and I do have a service manual. I am not sure what is going on but I get severe grinding in all gears. I think I may have to pull the rear end and transmission to inspect the clutch.. :( any words of wisdom would be GREATLY appreciated!

Here is a crappy video of me trying to get it in gear ...

the first thing i would do is make sure the disc plate is free from clutch plate.  will need 2 people,  one to step on the clutch  and one see see what is happening with the clutch.  from your video the it looks like the throw out bearing is working properly  and  has enough movement to disengage the clutch.  WITHOUT  the car running  crawl under the car and get a good view of the clutch disc   and  make sure it is tight between the flywheel  and  clutch.  now have the other person step on the clutch  and  see if the disc is now free. 

Guest jmajerowski

Tried that as well. The bolts on the plate were looks and I tightened them evenly after this video. I can't tell if the clutch is loose if the flywheel. I did manage to get it into 2 and 3 after some trying. I think I will take off the 4 bolts on top of the transmission where the shift lever connects and see if it's all connected correctly and has enough oil as well tonight.

Guest jmajerowski

Took the whole thing apart tonight.. I think that the teeth of the transmission was rusted to the inside of the clutch 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Guest jmajerowski

Time to get a wire brush is there and the shaft to clean it up! Then some grease, reassemble and hopefully I will be able to shit!!

Anyone have any tips on things to check/do while I have he rear end and transmission disconnected before I reassemble?

Guest jmajerowski

I am having a major problem getting this car into gear. I have taken the transmission out and pulled the clutch and pressure plate. The clutch looks good I cleaned it all up and put everything back together and I can still not get the car into gear. I extended the lash on the clutch arm to full out and still no go. The clutch will only stop when I step on the brake and press in the clutch with it in second gear. ANY help or info will be greatly appreciated!!!!!