1933 Headlamp questions

sftamx1

I am looking to restore the headlamps and fender lamps on my '33 Essex Terraplane 8.  Three items need attention.... Is there a business that repairs cracks in the removable rim? Is there a source for replacement cork gasket material between the lens and reflector? and is there a  reliable place to  re-silver the reflector, or is there a more durable and reflective plating available? Thanks for any help!   

If a pre-cut cork gasket isn't available, you could do what I did:  go to a model train shop and buy the cork roadbed material, about 1/8" thick.  Then, slice it into straight lengths the same width as the groove around the perimeter of your reflector.   There is a flexibility to this stuff, so you can start at one end and force it into the groove and it will fit to the curve.  Of course there will be a seam, but put this at the bottom of the reflector so rain won't get into it at the top.

The very best polish for tarnished reflectors is lampblack and kerosene on a soft cotton cloth. If your reflectors are not ruined yet , give it a try. Of course , use a light touch , as these coatings are VERY thin. If this cheap low hanging fruit is inadequate or unacceptable , Uvira is a relatively permanent solution. It is an evaporative deposition process done in a vacuum chamber. Not cheap , but as I say , extremely durable due to a hard Quartz overcoating. If you avoid unnecessary or aggressive cleaning , it should outlast you , and the next owner. - Carl

Any quality silverware shop can re-silver your reflectors.  With my reflectors re-silvered and with 50 candlepower bulbs I can make anyone on the highway dim their lights.  Not the same type of light that the modern bulbs give (softer, more yellow) but more than adequate to drive at any of the highway speedlimits.

Here is what I did: http://www.ply33.com/Repair/lights

Not mentioned in that write up was that the buckets were badly damaged. I was able to find a craftsman able to straighten out the brass and close the holes so you couldn't tell they had ever been damaged. Sorry I don't have the name as it was about 20 years and two cities ago.