Scam Watch

Hi all

It has been brought to my attention that a scammer is utilising my AACA signature list of cars and offering these for sale to potential buyers, and I believe with photos found on the internet.

I'm not sure "what" to do about it except bring it to everyone's attention that these rat bags are scanning not only our ads and replying to them but also seeing if they can catch out people offering them cars they do not have.

The fellow that brought this to my attention is in New Zealand and was scammed into paying for a early 4 cylinder Cadillac motor and then given the list of "potential purchases" which just happen to be mine, and he luckily recognised that and emailed me directly.

This sort of stuff ruins the fun in the hobby, my rule when being offer an item for sale "if they can't give you a specific dimension of a part of the item, length of shaft, or the height, of the chimney on a light, or something like that, walk away" some are more obvious than others but they are getting really cunning in trying to scam us so please be ware.

This sort of stuff ruins the fun in the hobby... 

Thank you for pointing this out to everyone.

I hope the moderators see it and act accordingly.

I must say, however, Russell, do not let evil ruin your enjoyment.

Evil may ruin the criminals' enjoyment of life--and it 

certainly will, sooner or later, far more than they currently know--

but you should stand above it, as you undoubtedly are.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

It has been brought to my attention that a scammer is utilising my AACA signature list of cars...  

That's a good reason NOT to give private information in a public venue.

Listing your cars in a membership album given only to AACA members poses

little risk;  writing about your cars in an AACA-members-only magazine should

be fine.  But when such information is available to every crook, charlatan,

and con-man world-wide, conveniently linked to your name and address,

I think it's unwise.

"Share the spurious with the curious" --giving false information to those who

shouldn't have it--was a tactic for safety given in a Forbes magazine article.

I say, instead, give such people NO information.

Folks,

Anybody can look at this site and can read what you put in your signature or anything that you post online. If someone decided to simply copy the list of cars in his signature and claim that he had those cars for sale, there is nothing that AACA can do to stop that. You don't have to register to view this or any other forum that I am aware of. Scammers are certainly reading lots of stuff on lots of websites. A potential purchaser these days simply has to do his or her homework to make sure he or she is dealing with a legitimate seller instead of a scammer.

Guest 33chrysler

I like how other forums require a handwritten note in the photo of the item that has the current date and there forum name(handle). Now this can't eliminate all scams but at least the potential buyer is assured the seller has the item in there possession and didn't just lift the photo elsewhere on line.

I got this one tonight...

Hi, I'm going to church right now and won't be back till night. I will come and pay the cash and pick-up the Vechicle immediatly. So tell me the time to come today or tomorrow morning when im going to work. Email me  @  ma$$$$$&&&&aley@gmail.com, also leave your number to call you. Happy sunday

I go to church for only a hour....

Guest AlCapone

I like how other forums require a handwritten note in the photo of the item that has the current date and there forum name(handle). Now this can't eliminate all scams but at least the potential buyer is assured the seller has the item in there possession and didn't just lift the photo elsewhere on line.

I find that to be a great idea! Wayne

Guest kenbenn

Hi All, I just had a simular experience. A "max" from Texas ( maxtx2} replied to my wanted post. He said his PayPal was dormant & I had to pay

by money gram, and after requesting photos of parts he said that he tried & they came back undeliverable!

I replied that I wanted the parts, but would not transfer any funds until I had some verification of identity and photos.

Surprise, surprise! no reply Value of transaction would have been approx.$500 Australian.

A "max" from Texas ( maxtx2} replied to my wanted post....

"Max" from Texas could have been from Russia or Nigeria

or some other dark corner of the world.  Probably not from Texas!

I once had a fraudster phone me, purportedly from "Google Windows."

He had a foreign accent.  When I asked where he was calling from,

he replied "Dallas" [Texas].  Knowing he was lying, I asked what the

temperature was there.  He replied, "23."  That was a clear sign 

that he was a crook:  Dallas rarely sees 23 Fahrenheit (and it was summer),

and no one would quote a temperature there in Centigrade!

Never buy cars if you do not see it in person. All can be done in photoshop or other apps. Do not use ebay. Or paypal to pay. All scams. Especially if it starts with words I am out of town can be payment done to ebay. Or paypal wich will hold your money on hold till item dillivert. All scams.

I have two boats for sale on the local Craig's List.

I got identical replies that said "you seem to be a serious seller but I am out of country bla bla bla".

I replied that I would accept cash or wait for a check to clear knowing this is a scammer.

He sent me detailed message on how to set up a Pay Pal account. I toyed with him for a few more messages, when he got insistent that I take care of business I asked him what color is the boat you are interested in?

No reply yet.