1915 buick not mine

NC-car-guy

So I just got a lead on a 1915 buick with a clear title. Kept inside, the body is rumored to be in great shape. The engine is only partially there. I've contacted the heir to the estate. He's going to let me see it and gather photos. He said he wants 4500 for it. It's not a car for me, but I wanted to ask if there are particular things to look for/ get photos of so I can report back?

• Like 1

Find out:

what series eg. C-25, C-37, C-55

Body style : Roadster, Touring, etc

Read or photograph the oval tag on the front left frame rail

Pics of the engine, etc

these will be helpful in identifying the car, the model, etc

• Like 1

The condition of the wood in the body is very important. If it is soft or rotted, the door hinges will be loose and doors will not line up well with the body when you close them. It will take a very skilled carpenter to replace any rotted wood pieces, because most of them interconnect with the other pieces, and you have to carefully pry away the sheet metal and/or upholstery to get to most of the wood, which is almost everywhere in cars of this age. The condition of the wood tells you whether or not the car is a good buy at this price. The other two most expensive things to look for and replace are the radiator and the wood spoke wheels. If all of these are good, then the car is a very good buy.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX

• 1 month later...

Ok, finally back on task for this one.  The body is VERY solid, saw with my own eyes. Both the wood and metal are in good shape. It is a c37 touring car.  The top is gone, but the 5 bows are there and in good shape. There are 4 solid wood spoked wheels and a spare.  The spare is NOS but probably too dry rotted to use.  There are two partial motors (4cyl), both have the crank portion one has the cylinders and head. The windshield is broken, interior is gone, and the rear fenders/ radiator shroud are missing. It does indeed have a clear, NC title.  He has related that $4k is his bottom dollar. Unfortunately I'm having a hard time with photos, the building was built around the car with very little room to move and has no electricity or windows.  I will try to convince him to let me bring some lighting and get photos if anyone is seriously interested.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Any word on the 1915 C-37 as of yet?

3 weeks ago I went to drive a 1913-31 as the craigslist poster said that the car ran and drove (also said that it was a 1913-25). They wanted about double for what I would consider reasonable as to the degraded (not running) condition. A 1955 restoration that has sat in an unheated metal machinery shed for over 15 years. The car has probably not been on the road since before 2000. When I arrived the owner admitted that the car has not been started in over 4 years. (The lower radiator hose was disconnected) Even though when I called the day before we agreed that I would be coming to hear the car run and to drive it. (" But it always starts with 2 or 3 pulls of the crank")

This is the same story ... different day for me.

post-121302-0-78807200-1448938084_thumb. Every panel had cracked and peeling paint as well as all the rust pits on the fenders resurfaced. The clutch pedal was in the depressed position and would not return as if the main pressure spring was broken.

I don't mind considering a project car for a project price. But when some are asking #1 condition prices for an obvious #4-5 car.

Hey all, unfortunately between the job and family health issues, I've not had the time to even try to work on arranging to bring lighting, etc to the building. I can give you the man's contact info in a PM as I don't want to post it in an open forum where bots/ scams cab pick up on it. He's not advertising anywhere except word of mouth, so he's in no hurry to sell it would seem.