Help with a seized engine on a 1932 Model 86 Buick

Guest 1932Buick

Guest 1932Buick

Hi

I have a 1932 Buick Model 86 that has a seized engine. I have followed advice from Buick owners regarding how to free the engine. I have poured a gallon of marvel mystery oil into the cylinders. I have also used rust inhibitor. I have put the car in gear and gently rocked the car to try to free the engine. I have obtained a maual hand crank for this car and the engine and am unable to get it to turnover.

There is a new battery, new fuel pump and the starter is engaging it makes a "Clunking Sound" but the flywheel is still stuck.

I am located in Queens New York and am seeking assistance and or a reccomendation to an expert in freeing seized engines. I am hesitant to have someone work on this that doesn't have a proven record of resolving this issue.

The car sat for at least 3 to 4 years without being started. Before that the car never had an issue starting..

Thanks to the membership for your assistance.

Regards,

Ara

Mix half and half acetone and automatic transmission fluid into a container and pour it ino the cylinders. This mix is better than any comercially available penetrant. Let it sit sit overnight and then repeat it again the following day. Each day try to turn the motor, eventually it will turn. I have freed up antique motor cycle engines this way and by filling the engine completely with automatic transmission fluid and letting sit for a couple of weeks between trying to turn the engines, I'm always amazed when all of a sudden the engine turns.

• Like 1

Ara,

Only sitting "3 to 4 years", should probably not be a serious problem. Was that what a previous owner told you or do you know from direct knowledge? Both suggestions are good in different ways. By this time, your oil pan must be gaining some solution volume so you might want to look at that to see what the solution looks like. I am in CT, and can get someone here to help you but they probably want the car here (Hartford area). Welcome to the forum. Good Luck w3ith the'32.

John

It would be a good idea to drain the pan every couple of days unless you are using straight transmission fluid. In that case you wouldn't have to drain it until the engine turns a little. Patience is the key. It takes time just as it took time to seize up. This solution is based on the assumption that the seizure is gummed up parts. If its something mechanical then all the solvents etc wont help a thing. It does seem unlikely to me that this happened to a running engine that just sat for four years. 

• Like 2

Mix half and half acetone and automatic transmission fluid into a container and pour it ino the cylinders. This mix is better than any comercially available penetrant. Let it sit sit overnight and then repeat it again the following day. Each day try to turn the motor, eventually it will turn. I have freed up antique motor cycle engines this way and by filling the engine completely with automatic transmission fluid and letting sit for a couple of weeks between trying to turn the engines, I'm always amazed when all of a sudden the engine turns.

This is the best advice.

• Like 1

I will second most of what the others have said. Acetone and trans fluid is excellent to break seized parts free. Also, are you sure that the clutch is disengaging and/or it is not stuck in gear? Sorry if it seems to be a silly question.

Also, when you try to crank it, make sure that the plugs are out, in case when it does crank there is too much liquid in the cylinders and that can cause damage, or prevent it from turning.

It is impossible to say how long or how much treatment it will take, before it will turn over again. I will add that this does seem to be extreme for an engine that has sat for only a few years.

Perhaps there is more to this?  Do you know if was in a damp area, or sitting outside where it could of got water in the engine?

Hope this helps you, and keep us posted.

Keith

While I would second the opinion of removing external driven components ( generator/ water pump) I would also be sure to pour some trans fluid on the valves, as well as into the cylinders. I would also remove the rocker covers and shoot some trans fluid all over the cam, bearings and lifters. 

• Like 1

I used to actually fill the antique motorcycle engines with the acetone and trans fluid mix, the whole lower end (CRANKCASE) and the top end (CYLINDERS and VALVE BOXES) as much as was possible. I would let them sit for a couple of weeks and then start to try to turn the crank. Sometimes it took some more days but most would unstick after awhile.    

My 32 series 90 had been sitting for more than 30 years.  It was my dad’s car.  About 7 years ago I helped him get it freed after being stuck.  We pulled the head and sent it to a machine shop.  All the valves were stuck.  Someone told us to use brake fluid in the cylinders.  We soaked it good with brake fluid and were able to get it to turn over with a wrench.

Kevin