Data plate restoration 1928 1929 1930 1931 1932 1933 1934 1935 1936 1937 1938

vicpanza

I wanted to mention that I am restoring the serial number plate for my 1937 Dodge MC. This plate is exactly 2" x 4" and is a reverse image. I have had the artwork made and have attached. 

I found a screen printer who will make the screens and manage setup and printing. We think it should be gloss black ink, and if you want it matt, you can clear coat it with a matt lacquer. 

Before I go ahead with mine, I wanted to ask if anyone else is interested in having your plate restored with this method. To do so, you'll have to clean and polish your plate, make sure it's flat and send it to me. Once I have them, I'll have them screened and return. Please note that this artwork is specific for this plate, and will not work with other versions. 

I think the maximum cost will be about $35 that will cover your part of the artwork development, printing and return shipping. If we get enough plate (more than ten) if would be cheaper. 

In any event, I have attached a sample of the artwork and a pic of my plate for comparison. If anyone can confirm that this plate was used on other years or cars, please let me know as we can open up the opportunity.

If you are interested in this, please email me directly at vicpanza@gmail.com.

Thanks,

Vic

post-126575-0-05541700-1442335852_thumb.

post-126575-0-38744200-1442336561_thumb.

Edited by vicpanza (see edit history)

These plate were original to my 29 DB "E" series truck. Both were transfer to a metal plate by a heat transfer process.

Not to sure what is meant by being etched on metal process. Originals were a paint transfer process.

I used scanned photes of poor quatity originals and many tedious hours using Photoshop.

post-113706-0-05179200-1442425438_thumb.post-113706-0-80250500-1442425459_thumb.

• Like 1

Still checking what is meant by etched process to make these tags. Any ideas?

I drew the plan for this Maxwell plate and it was laser etched by a local neighbor. Photo #1= original. Photo #2= drawing. Photo #3= two finished plates.

post-81542-0-22836900-1442769660_thumb.j

post-81542-0-24354500-1442769678_thumb.j

post-81542-0-86122300-1442769732_thumb.j

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

What was the link to get your build card? Shot me your parts again. Between the fire detail and moving, my marbles are scrambled.

Thanks

Dave

PS 

I have the column support pulled.

http://www.fcanorthamerica.com/company/Heritage/Pages/Build-Records.aspx

Sent a PM. check your email.

Vicpanza, so you are repainting your original plate? Not reproducing new ones? Cool idea. 

After seeing the nicer one's available on eBay, I am considering using one of these (the one from Poland looks to be the best value). But, as I have the artwork done, I may have a high resolution water decal made and put it on my original plate once it's cleaned and polished. If it looks OK, may clear coat it and use. If it doesn't hold up, I can always replace it. 

While the silk screening process would be a better option, unless I get a handful to do, it would be a bit pricy.

• 2 weeks later...

After seeing the nicer one's available on eBay, I am considering using one of these (the one from Poland looks to be the best value). But, as I have the artwork done, I may have a high resolution water decal made and put it on my original plate once it's cleaned and polished. If it looks OK, may clear coat it and use. If it doesn't hold up, I can always replace it. 

While the silk screening process would be a better option, unless I get a handful to do, it would be a bit pricy.

Check a Trophy shop. They can transfer a photo image on a metal plate. Mine is much more durable than a decal. Check out my pervious post in this thread.

Vic, I will look at my plate to see if it is flat. If it is I will send it to you. Thanks. John

Thanks. I am planning on having them silk screened. I have another, so cost will be split up a bit. Please make sure it's the same design as I have pictured above. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Found one on eBay that looks to be a good replacement: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181700697048?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have ordered and received this plate.  I like it except for the fact that "DODGE TRUCKS"  is centered 1/4" too far left. The photo on ebay shows it centered. I'm going to see if I can get a better one.    Will keep you posted.   John

Found one on eBay that looks to be a good replacement: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181700697048?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have ordered and received this plate.  I like it except for the fact that "DODGE TRUCKS"  is centered 1/4" too far left. The photo on ebay shows it centered. I'm going to see if I can get a better one.    Will keep you posted.   John

OK. I was thinking or your original. If the extra hole is on in the number areas, maybe you could lay some silver solder into it, and we could have it screened. I have not dropped them off yet, and probably will not get to it for a few weeks.

Guest JohnArthurSpinks

Message for johnworden1.

I wrote to you on October 20 advising that the Dodge truck was a 3 ton war model T110-L-5 manufactured in Canada.

Could you please advise the color of the engine and transmission and maybe where I could get a copy of a photo of the engine so that an associate here in Australia can continue with his authentic restoration.

Regards

John Spinks

I bought the plate from Poland on ebay. "DODGE TRUCKS" was not centered on the plate and I informed the maker through ebay that I wasen't happy with it. He sent a photo of one with the words centered (like shown on the ebay listing) and I think he will send a corrected plate. 

I'll keep you posted.    John

Message for johnworden1.

I wrote to you on October 20 advising that the Dodge truck was a 3 ton war model T110-L-5 manufactured in Canada.

Could you please advise the color of the engine and transmission and maybe where I could get a copy of a photo of the engine so that an associate here in Australia can continue with his authentic restoration.

Regards

John Spinks

I sent a photo to you.   John

• 4 weeks later...

I had a few VIN plates silk screened and was really pleased with the results. Pictures don't do them justice. I cleaned and polished the plates, and my screener used a semi-gloss ink to screen these. May clearcoat mine to protect it, but maybe not? Thought you might like to see the results. He is holding the screen and can do more if anyone out there is interested. Best if we can get several to do at one time. 

post-126575-0-71000100-1448415829_thumb.

post-126575-0-54101800-1448415846_thumb.

post-126575-0-26293800-1448415865_thumb.

post-126575-0-11149000-1448415876_thumb.

I found a local "engraver" who printed a new plate for me directly on 0.5 mm stainless steel. Out of a printer, I suppose using laser printer technology. Very glossy, although the stainless has a faint brush finish (to provide tooth for the paint). My original plate (1930 Dodge Brothers maker's plate) was tin plated steel 0.012" (0.3 mm) thick. They must have been printed in large sheets and punched out - you can feel the tiny raised edge on the back.

There was a question about etching. They deposit something on the metal on the "white" parts and acid etch the rest. The etched area is thus lowered a tad more than the thickness of the paint. Then they paint it black (or some other colour) and wipe the paint off the high areas, which come up as metal colour. This is not like original, but it will not be easily polished away like the original painted plate and if it is, it is easy to repaint.

I did my artwork using Inkscape, an open source vector graphics program. The lettering was all done using Bezier curves because the fonts are not available. I traced over what photographs I could get (none were any good, most plates are almost completely missing their paint).