DKW

rocketraider

Neat story on a seldom seen car- especially in this part of the world!  

http://www.yourgv.com/lifestyles/county_life/article_2fcf3a34-40e8-11e5-976d-170c357be44e.html

When I first met James a few years back I saw the four rings on the grille and thought Audi. That's when I was introduced to the AutoUnion DKW 900. Fascinating car and this one is restored to very high standards.

Now who would have ever thought a car like this would surface out in the hinterlands of Southern Vajenya, where the most common collector cars are Fords and Chevrolets? And since the lesser-quality Fords & Chevys were getting all the spectator traffic at that show, I had time to really talk with James about his unique car.

• Like 1

Neat story on a seldom seen car- especially in this part of the world!  

http://www.yourgv.com/lifestyles/county_life/article_2fcf3a34-40e8-11e5-976d-170c357be44e.html

When I first met James a few years back I saw the four rings on the grille and thought Audi. That's when I was introduced to the AutoUnion DKW 900. Fascinating car and this one is restored to very high standards.

Now who would have ever thought a car like this would surface out in the hinterlands of Southern Vajenya, where the most common collector cars are Fords and Chevrolets? And since the lesser-quality Fords & Chevys were getting all the spectator traffic at that show, I had time to really talk with James about his unique car.

Seeing the three rings should make you think of Audi, but also DKW, Horch, Wanderer. Those are the four makes that make the four interconnecting rings meaning the union of the four makes or as we say Auto Union.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

Amazing that they are worth so much. Didn't know anyone cared about them. There were a few around here in the sixties. I wanted one but never happened to get one. Last one I saw was in the eighties. There weren't many 2 stroke cars, I believe SAAB copied the DKW 3 cyl front drive power train.

Helfen, in all honesty I knew little about Auto Union until meeting James and his car. Had only heard of DKW and Horch; had never seen either.

That's OK as many people have little interest. Some of those early post war cars are quite unusual. Here is another car that you don't see very much of. They were built in Bremen Germany. My neighbor had a blue one when I was growing up around 1963. The Borgward has a interesting engine and has a four speed stick on the column. The styling has elements of Buick's " Air Foil Styling" What do you think?

http://members.chello.nl/j.baartse/carpics/borgward.jpg

http://onlytruecars.com/data_images/gallery/02/borgward-isabella-ts-coupe/borgward-isabella-ts-coupe-03.jpg

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

I remember a Borgward running around when growing up in South Florida, at the time you could find almost anything and popcorn poppers were common (SAAB and DKW). Today they would be to dirty to sell. That is where I first saw and wanted a Facel Vega and a 57 3/4 size Caddy with suicide rear doors and dual quads. (Have always liked lotsa carbs).

• 2 months later...
Guest Electricben

DKW cars are not difficult to service, however they do have an unusual ignition. The engine has 3 cylinders, each cylinder has his own ignition point and his own ignition coil.  If you are not used to work at the ignition of DKW cars, it is usually said (also by "professional" mechanics) that it is a difficult car to service, which is actually not true.

The reality however is following. How difficult is it to set the ignitiontiming on a normal car? Not so difficult, is it   not? Once when you have set the timing right, the job is done.

It is therefore not difficult to set the timing three times (3 cylinders with 3 ignitionpoints), so just doing the job three times, each time on another cylinder, that is all, folks. That is not difficult, only unusual.

I have more than 35 years experience with working on all three cylinder DKW-cars, so I do know what I am talking about.

If you want to know more, you can also send me a private message.

In the 60's in Winnipeg, the "English" members of the Sports Car Club were dismayed when DKWs showed up for a Rally.

The little coupes usually beat the Sports Cars. It took a real good driver in a Triumph, MG, Healy or even a Jag

sometimes to beat them.