Help WTB Classic Packard

lincolnmatthews

Never owned a Packard (have owned my 42 Continental for 30 yrs) but finally want to add a Packard to my collection. I have a hang up for a 1935, 36, Club Sedan Eight cylinder. I love these cars. One thread in particular I've read was "the market value of Packards" very informative by so many knowlegeable Packard owners.

One 35 C Sedan was listed recently by a dealer in the St Louis area for about 40k (it had sold at an auction in July for about half of this) it needed an interior & the dash re-done. There is a 36 in Colorado for about 36k but needs a lot spent on a paint job & the engine compartment looks like #$&*. Although the interior looks good (if its correct or original)

After reading everything I can from what I gather is that these mid 30's closed cars will be the next one's to take off?? Would someone be able to put a very rough "ball park" value on these cars? NADA shows an avg retail of about 20k. I'm sorry I just don't know what to expect to pay for one, if it needs a complete paint job (about 15k) or a complete interior (about 10k).

One question is how rare are these particular models? Should one buy the 1st one you see or hold out for another when they pop up, (if they pop up) Sorry to ramble on, but I paid to much for my old Lincoln yrs ago & just don't want to repeat the same mistake. Thank you very much!

If I were looking for a Packard to buy, I'd buy the best one available.  They're great cars, but restoration (as on any Classic of this era) can get expensive quickly.  You've touched on interior and paint, then engine work and chrome take it over the top.

As mentioned before, it's much cheaper to pay your bank a monthly note on a loan than pay a restoration shop the monthly bills.

If you want to participate in Classic Car Club of America activities, you need to buy a Senior Packard.  During 1935 and 1936, your wish list years,  Packard also produced a Junior series eight cylinder, the Model 120.  These are NOT Full Classics, although they are very nice cars.

Impossible to give you a value without a specific car in mind, other than wild ass guesses.  The Club Sedan body style is more desirable to most than a regular sedan, with a coupe being the most valuable closed car.  The coupe is relatively "rare", but there are a number of other body styles available, so I wouldn't jump on the first thing that shows up, particularly if it needs a lot of work.  Personally I think $40K should buy you a fairly nice club sedan driver, Senior car, that may not be perfect, but is presentable and reliable as is.  The same car in a Junior series would be 25K or less.  Just my opinion, so we all know what that's worth.

After I posted the above, I found this car, mentions it has a CCCA award so must be a Senior car....   http://www.prewarcar.com/classifieds/ad182537.html

Sounds like an excellent buy at 40K or so, almost sounds too good to be true.....you sure couldn't restore it for that to that condition....

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)

40k seems like a pretty good deal I agree.  Since they don't say I'm assuming it is a standard 8 as opposed to the super 8.   There is a pretty good premium on the Super 8.

I would second the motion on buying somebody else's restoration.  If you pay 50k for a nice car,   chances are the guy you are buying it from has a lot more into it than that.

Thank you for the ideas & opinions! I actually prefer a closed car for our area (Pac NW) & they fall more within my budget. The above add is the car I "drooled" over for days, but when I actually worked up to calling on it, it had already sold. (This was the car that had sold at an auction for a lot cheaper than what D. Schmidtt had it listed for. I kind of stalled on it because of the cond of the interior, & if you look close, you can see paint flaws. I figured that for 40k or ? that it should have been in better shape, (although it looks impressive). Such beautiful line on these cars. I should have called on it sooner I guess!

The 36 car in Colorado on the Hemmings adds just looks rough IMO for the asking price of 37k. I agree with you guys that its better to pay more & get one that's almost finished. Its difficult to find shops in my area that will do complete paint jobs, that tie up there stalls for months on end.

I'll just keep looking, Thanks again!

LincolnMatthews writes: "After reading everything I can from what I gather is that these mid 30's closed cars will be the next one's to take off??"

I don't think any any Packards have 'taken off' in a long time.  While some cars surge and drop in value, Packard values are pretty steady and have been for a long time.   If anything, real values are probably on a slightly downward trend because of inflation.  But you buy these cars for fun not for the investment.

My sense is that buying a closed 1930s Packard that has been very well restored is a good buying strategy if you want to drive the car.  Values for the closed cars are pretty modest, so you can buy a car for a fraction of its restoration costs.  You don't want to be the one to pay a restorer to do the work, but it's a really good deal to buy from the person who did.

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)

I would agreed,  buy the closed car you want the club sedan are special   I not sure that many collector out there in to mid 30's Packards.  People are getting older with time, if you planning keeping it for 10 or 20 years,  it be better donated to museum when your done.