Things that Can Leave You Stranded

JZRIV

Some folks say they don't like to take their older car on a long trip to a national, regional, or perhaps after a purchase and driving it home is they are afraid it will break down which can potentially ruin the whole experience. This fear cheats owners out of the best part of owning an antique car. I get asked by owners thinking about driving a 50s,60s & 70s car long distances what are the most likely causes of failure that could leave them stranded.

I have my own list for critique (60s & 70s based) but would like to hear from road warriors who have travelled mega miles in an older car and experienced breakdowns in order to create the most accurate list with priority. Kind of like a FMEA; Failure Modes and Effects Analysis for those familiar with it in the manufacturing field.

To me the biggest concern has always been items that will leave you stranded along a highway because that opens the door to a number of other BAD things that can happen. For example a flat tire may seem minor if you have a spare but changing a flat along a busy highway with little berm is a frightening experience which needs to be avoided. I saw a recent story where a couple was hit and killed when they stopped along a highway to change a tire on their street rod.

There are other areas that can fail but likely won't prevent the car from being driven to the nearest repair shop. A priority list by level of risk can allow drivers to decide if they want to service that risk prior to trip, buy a spare part and carry it with them, or do nothing and take the risk if they feel lucky.

The "stranded" list

1. Hoses and belts

2. Fuel pump

3. Water Pump

4. Tires

5. Radiator/cooling system

6. Alternator

7. Brake Master Cylinder (complete failure)

8. Ignition system (ex. points, cap)

Less Critical List "drive to a shop"

1. Brake master cylinder or wheel cylinder. (Partial failure)

2. Battery

3. Fluid Leaks

4. Wheel bearing

5. Starter 

6. Wiring - Ignition, Lights, Battery cables

7. U-joint and/or Drive shaft center support bearing if equipped

8. Fuel filter

• Like 4

That list will already make for a long line of cars that may not ever be bought. 

Here's what I tell people:  It's an old car which has been used successfully for XX  years. How much more does it need to do to prove it's reliable?   If it does, by chance, break, the best thing to do is have triple A Plus,  and then chalk it up to experience.  Other than that, carry a fire extinguisher ( just in case someone else around you needs it) , and some basic tools. But use it often enough at home so that you know it's potential weaknesses. 

• Like 4

I have been lucky and unlucky...  I pulled my 64 Riviera out of a garage where it had sat for 30 + year, spent a year getting it running good and drove it to the Seattle BCA Nationals and back.  5700 + miles. Most of it at interstate speeds.Broke a fan belt but it runs on two, so continued on.

My 47 4 door, on the other hand didn't even make it out of Texas before having water pump issues. Fixed that and spent the next day getting people to push start it because of a bad solinoid. Changed the starter when we got to the hotel and shade and went into Kentucky. Third day I broke a 15 cent rivet on my clutch that left me in a rental car for the rest of my trip.This on a car I drive regularly and will take anywhere.

I prepare for most emergencies, but cant prepare for everything. The above Riveara broke a valve and left me calling a tow truck when I was in town going to a car show.

So it just goes to show, any of them can break anywhere, anytime.  Dont be afraid to drive and enjoy them.

Even modern cars break down unexpectedly.  When I hear people afraid to drive their old cars on long trips it tells me they don't drive it enough on short trips to have confidence in the car.  The way I see it, if you drive it a few times a week around town or on shorter trips, pretty soon you'll have 500 miles on it.  Well, then you'd be confident to take it on a 500 round trip the next chance you get.  Driving it on short trips often will give you the confidence to take it on longer and longer trips.  And I don't like driving an old Buick on a long trip after a repair until I am confident the repair is done and over with.  For instance, if my car is overheating and I suspect it is the radiator, I wouldn't just change the radiator and start off on a long trip.  I'd drive it around town until I'm confident the radiator fixed the overheating problem.  My point is, drive it on short trips, get to know your old car, then you won't worry about the longer ones.

And having roadside service is a good idea, too.  Just in case you need it. One time I had a flat and then realized the spare wheel was not for the car. The bolt pattern looked close but wouldn't fit.  I never used it before so I didn't know it until I tried it on the trip.  I explained it to the roadside service and they dispatched a truck out that had the capability to remove the tire from the bad wheel and put it on the flat tire's wheel.  That one service was worth what I paid them for a year.

• Like 4

I agree with the advice of driving and getting the car sorted out and the driver confident.

Your BCA roster is also good to take with you, just in case you need a friendly hand or some local expertise...

• Like 1

In 1990, I had just finished restoring my GTO convertible and had driven the car around town 

to cruises and such but not a lot of miles since it was done. I left Dallas to drive to Kansas City for the Pontiac-Oakland

Club convention and made it as far as Atoka Oklahoma (About 100 miles) when my distributor froze up solid and then

spun around when the cam couldn't turn the distributor shaft and it backfired and died while I was going 50 miles per hour.

I coasted into a gas station and the car stopped in front of the service bays without my stepping on the brake. I quickly determined what had happened and pulled my distributor....amazingly it didn't harm the teeth on the camshaft. It was obvious that the 

shaft would never ever come out of it's aluminum housing and one of the employees of the station drove me to a local junkyard where I was able to purchase a used distributor out of a 66 GTO and within an hour I was back on the road. The distributor

locked up because I used too much solvent to clean it, trying to make it look perfect and the solvent washed all the lube off the

distributor shaft and bushings. That's the only breakdown I've had in any of my old cars on the way to an event.